PDA

View Full Version : Making PCB's

rruss45826
04-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Has anyone made PCB's on a Shop Bot? Quality? Software? Thanks for the info!
Ray

jsfrost
04-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Based on theory, not experience, a standard Shopbot would not be reliably flat enough to consistantly machine the thin PC board metalization. You would need to sense the board surface height directly under the cutter, then cut down from there.

kaaboom_99
04-05-2005, 04:42 PM
I have made numerous boards with my PRT96 (originally the reason I purchased it), some even for the PRT automation and a breakout box. This method of PCB manufacturing is called "isolation routing". Simple boards I would draw up in Corel, then draw my traces around my conductor paths on a different layer, and on a third layer I would mark all my drill holes. I would export the second and third layers separately as their own dxf file, then use the SB software to convert them. I would use a short 0.015" endmill for the traces and a #66? drill bit for holes.

Your copper surface on a board is typically 0.002" thick. Once you have cut through this surface you have essentially isolated the remaining trace.

I have also used QCad to design more intricate boards. It has been a long time since I have used it though. I probably have done about 100 PCB's with the Shopbot.

Hope this helps!

btk
04-05-2005, 05:07 PM
I do not know if you have ever visited this website , however they offer custom PCB boards and give instant quotes..... http://www.pad2pad.com/

Ryan Patterson
04-06-2005, 12:39 AM
I have not milled the board but I have used it to drill the holes. To draw my traces a use a laser printer print traces(mirror image) on glossy photo paper the transfer to copper with heat. Then etch board then use sb to drill holes. The software I use is Circuit Maker and pad2pad is included with the software. Pad2pad will print the board and generate nc file for holes.