PDA

View Full Version : How fast can I cut tempered masonite?

knight_toolworks
06-12-2009, 01:15 PM
I need to bid on a very large job cutting what I hope will be 1/8" tempered masonite. I need to cut it fast to keep the price down and to be able get it done.
I was thinking a 2f downcut 1/4" bit the cut needs to be clean so I don't have to sand. we are talking 6000 pieces here. they are pretty big 24x15 with a simple handle cutout so they should vacuum well.

garyb
06-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Sounds like the backing for roof shingle displays is back doing the rounds.
Be careful if it is, that one has been around the small cnc shops and suckered a few over the last couple of years.

knight_toolworks
06-12-2009, 05:15 PM
yes that's it. this is a small ad company that wants to job. I know it would be a hello f a lot of work that if the orders get larger I would not do.
tell me what you know about it.

garyb
06-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Steve, you can contact me off line, email or call & I will outline.

beacon14
06-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Your best bet is to get a sheet or two and make some test cuts, you can't afford to make a mistake on a job that big. Be sure to allow for the time it will take to handle 500 sheets of material - do you have a forklift?

It's not easy to get a perfect cut on 1/8" masonite.

knight_toolworks
06-13-2009, 03:39 PM
the roofing manufacture is huge. so I doubt they would screw me. but a marketing/ad firm can. I was talking to my printing friend and he said may times the ad firm gets paid but people under them can get screwed.
I can use a forklift to get the materials close to my door.
Masonite does not cut well. but tempered Masonite does.
I did a test cut and 6ips was not a problem it cut really well and clean.
now how many bits will I go through? I have no idea cut time for each sheet is 5 minutes. I guesstimated 12 sheets so I will be doing pretty well.

Brady Watson
06-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Use coated bits. Get a 50% deposit on the work before you begin. Get the 50% balance upon pickup/delivery.

-B

knight_toolworks
06-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Plus they buy the material and bits up front and a contract I think.
what kind of coated bits ? I emailed centurion to see if I can get a price deal on short 1/4" bits.

myxpykalix
06-14-2009, 04:36 AM
If it is the same thing, i have cut 1/4 masonite and i have found it stinks a little bit, but also and this may be realted to my feeds/speeds but the edges of the cuts tend to feather out a little but i take a piece of sandpaper and a few swipes back and forth and it falls off and it looks great and cuts nice.

Brady Watson
06-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Titanium Nitride (TiN) or Titanium Carbonitride (TiCN ) Coatings are fairly common. They have a greater hardness and lower coefficient of friction than plain carbide & they only cost about a $1 to $3 more than a bare carbide bit - yet they last much longer. Most of the smaller mom & pop bit cutters won't have coatings freely available - most have to send them out. I buy coated bits whenever possible since they are superior to uncoated and only a buck or two more.

-B