View Full Version : Architechtural woodworking

kinneymarsh@aol.com
09-23-2000, 08:36 AM
I am a woodworker from NJ with a small millwork buisness.
i have recently purchased a shopbot and am looking to make some anthacus, egg&dart, seawave
or other cnc moldings.
I am looking for cut files
please help
thanks

Andrew@computersculpture.com
11-16-2000, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure if there is a library of these mouldings one can buy on a CD, but if not, it might be a nice side-business idea, if you came up with some. It is possible to model this sort of thing in a 3d CAD program, like Rhino, for instance. Then inexpensive programs like MillWizard can write the G-code toolpaths based on these models. Another approach is to use a 3d scanner to capture an existing physical model, scale it in a 3d program, then output it to the G-code program.

jlohmann@up.net
01-07-2001, 07:46 PM
I am an ornamental woodcarver with 30 years experience considering a shopbot. I am thinking about a catalogue of architectural details and furniture parts that can be carved on a shopbot. I can also create original carvings that could be scanned into a 3D program. Is there any interest in this type of service?

henry
02-13-2002, 10:26 PM
Also looking for cut files for cnc moldings. Recently purchased shopbot last September and it has been great with our line of custom millwork.

carvesigns7@mindspring.com
02-14-2002, 01:30 PM
reguarding 3d architectural millwork
I may be able to help.
If you want you can give me a call at 973-584-8141 ext 134
or in the evening at 973-361-1577

jdelatorre@earthlink.net
03-10-2002, 03:49 PM
I am looking for a shop w/ a ShopBot (preferably in Southern Ca.) who can execute some custom grills. I can provide CAD drawings but not cut files. Anyone interested please contact me.
Jose Torre-Bueno

rona
03-28-2002, 01:05 PM
I have a customer that would like me to manufacture a number of arched window mouldings. The initial mouldings to be colonial design. I have no experience with mouldings. I currently have CorelDraw 9, turbocad and autocad light.

Anyone with experience producing mouldings and time enough to lend a hand to one in need will be greatly appreciated.

henry
03-28-2002, 09:44 PM
Ron,
Do you have a molding machine that you are going to run the trim thru after cutting it out with the Shopbot or are you wanting to let Shopbot make the molding?

rona
03-29-2002, 07:16 PM
Henry,
I don't have a molding machine.
I can cut the arched shape with the bot, but have no experience producing the profile.

eb191@yahoo.com
04-10-2002, 08:10 PM
I would like some input on how to make the scroll work (curved moulding) for colonial furniture, grandfather clocks etc. I have a small sb.

rgbrown@itexas.net
04-10-2002, 10:22 PM
Donn,

The "trick" is to figure out the geometry of the piece being created. Then one needs to deduce the angles needed to cut that geometry, obtain the bits, create the cutting files and go from there.

There are some programs that are said to figure these paths though I don't know of any. I have modeled both raised and inset cutting in RHINO and have been happy with the results. The method I use takes considerable time.

Ron Brown - rgbrown@itexas.net (mailto:rgbrown@itexas.net)

If Stupidity got us into this mess,
then why can't it get us out? - Will Rogers

ckurak
10-13-2003, 12:01 PM
This forum has been extremely helpful in other areas. Now, I have some questions about creating custom moulding with a PRT. Unfortunately, my schedule prohibits me from attending the NJ Camp ShopBot this year. I would love to visit Marshall's Millwork! I can't, so here are some of my questions.

1) What size and type of mouldings are typically produced for architectural woodwork? Are the normal pieces chair rails and crown moulding? What other types of pieces are requested by customers? Yes, I looked through Marshall's website... Beautiful pictures!

2) What size, type, and grade of raw materials are used? For example, If I am carving 3D raised moulding, what thickness of stock is typically used? Do customers typically stain or paint the finished product?

3) What lengths of moulding are typically produced? I may need to rearrange my shop for a better PRT location.

4) What software is typically used to produce this work? Are there 3D files containing these items that can be purchased? If so, any pointers?

5) What are typical pricings for this work? Are there separate pricings for computer work, setup, tooling, and actual production? If so, could someone share some estimates?

6) Who are the typical customers? General Contractors? Architects? Designers? Homeowners? I.e., where should I concentrate my marketing?

If any of these questions are too sensitive to discuss on the forum, I would welcome private discussions offline also. The purpose of my questions is NOT to undermine anyone else's business. Rather, I am in the process of constructing a business plan for my business and am gathering information for my business' success. I do NOT want to be one of the people who has to sell their PRT because they couldn't make the business work right.

Thanks in advance,

Charles

bjwat@comcast.net
10-13-2003, 02:05 PM
Charles,
You bring up a lot of common questions regarding doing 3D moldings on the Bot. I'll add in my $.02 here and what I have found.

It's important to note that the Bot isn't always the most efficient tool for the job. In other words, a molding machine with cutting knives is a much better choice, if what you need to do can be found in a knife profile. It takes about an hour per foot to do 3D moldings depending upon Z moves which slow down the process.

Poplar is a nice wood to use if the customer is going to paint it. I try to focus on just cutting materials and for the most part, refuse to paint or stain carved items. I have found that there is too much room for error and I don't want to be bothered with color matching and all of that.

Length is dependent upon what the customer needs. If you want to make a 12' molding in 3D, you'd have to charge your hourly rate * 12...if you are doing a custom job and you can't get that profile from any other source, then a price of $300 or so isn't such a shock if the customer has to have it.

Software...ArtCAM comes to mind for this type of work. I've seen the rep extrude molding profiles in minutes. I don't do a lot of 3D stuff, but I have been pretty successful with Rhino 3D and MillWizard.

Hope that helps,
-Brady

PS- Don't ever sell your Bot...Just think of new products to cut out with it