PDA

View Full Version : California Playhouse by Physical Design Co

mziegler
07-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Hi all, it’s been a long time, no post for me. Still here. I like to share a project that I recently cut on the shopbot. Last month I became a member of the Beta Fabricator Network for Physical Design Co. They send me the CRV and SBP files for the California Playhouse. Then I went to one of then big box stores and got twenty one sheets of OSB for this job. It took a week to cut all this because I have only a hour or two free at any given time. The cutting and releasing the parts from the sheets all went smoothly. I add to a pile of the puzzle parts every time I cut the next sheet. The assembly went slowly because of the need to sort the huge mess of parts. There like 100 some parts in all. Wow, it was cool looking all together. Luckily I realize it was to tall to it push out of the garage door. I was able to tip it over and push it out single handed. It all held together OK. So like a real house I have too finish it outside. I did need to fasten some of the panel parts because some of then were warp. All the windows, door and chimney was design and shop made by me. This was my first roofing job and it does look like that. Doing the valleys and the trim around the chimney was the hardest part of that job. All in all a fun project. A nice break away from my regular jobs. Mark

mziegler
07-27-2009, 05:44 AM
Here is the pictures, Mark

mziegler
07-27-2009, 06:11 AM
Some more, having some problems posting pictures

mikeacg
07-27-2009, 06:51 AM
Thanks for sharing this! I haven't tried anything like that yet but I am looking forward to it. I love how you could just tip it over to get it out!

Mike

khalid
07-27-2009, 07:14 AM
wonderful..It just reminds me Paris Disney land
..thanks for sharing

beacon14
07-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Very cool - the kids look like they are lovin' it.

larry_r
07-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Mark,

You gotta be proud.

Thanks for sharing.

dakers
07-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Mark, i see your dog may think it is his house the way he is admiring it.
What did you learn doing this that you have never learned before?

khaos
07-28-2009, 11:56 AM
So I know I am a bit of a nuub on all of this ... But 20 sheets seems like an enormous amount of wood for the project. Angus made a doghouse for a chihuahua with I believe 9 sheets and a playhouse with around 21. What is the attraction to this design type? I feel stupid that I don't get it...

Thanks,

angus_hines
07-29-2009, 10:24 AM
I have cut the playhouse but it's being assembled in Northren VA. or as soon as I get it up there !

Then will come the San Mateo Artist Studio 180 sheet project.

You wanna help put it together Joe ??

mikeacg
07-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Joe,

I'm guessing that, in terms of renewable resources, it takes a lot less trees to make a building out of OSB than to stick build it with 2x's and OSB. Plus it looks like it is easier to put together and faster in the long run. I haven't cut one yet but I am looking forward to trying it. Another thing I would see as a plus is that the building is in essence prefabricated so you could ship it into a site and put it up with almost no tools (especially helpful in remote areas without electricity or post-hurricane areas.)

I just signed up for 100K Garages today!

Mike