PDA

View Full Version : Designing a file properly

chipster
05-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Please forgive me if this posting is in the wrong area. I can see how it could fit in several categories.

I am designing my plenum using CorelDraw (my most familiar graphics program) I have saved it as a .dxf file.

From there I am importing to Aspire, doing my tool paths, and then saving that tool path as "ShopBot (arcs)(inch)(*.sbp)". First question, for my PRT standard with the 4G upgrade, is that the correct post processor? What are the other processors and how do I use them (if neeeded)?

Another question that I have is about the most effective way to make this file. When I run it in a preview mode, I see that it cuts one path horizontaly, followed by one path verticly. Then, repeat. Is there a more efficient way to do this? I suspect that it's caused by the original drawing, but I know that all lines were drawn horizontal, foillowed by all verticle (or vice versa) in that file.

jerry_stanek
05-05-2009, 06:38 PM
That should work just fine.

beacon14
05-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Aspire will use it's own sometimes twisted logic to create the order of the toolpath. We're still waiting for the ability to select the order by selecting the elements in order before calculating the toolpaths (but considering all the other features we get from Vectric we're not complaining too loudly).

The only way to control the order in Aspire (or PartWorks) is to create separate toolpaths for each line (using Vector start points to control the starting point of each line) and then combine the toolpaths, in the correct order, into a single cut file.

Or, if you draw the pattern as a single, long, connected line of multiple segments, Aspire will follow the line from start to finish.

Since you won't be using this file very often it's probably more efficient to just let Aspire choose it's own order and do something else while the machine runs.

dana_swift
05-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Aspire is a wonderful program, however when you nest multiple copies of parts it seems to cut all of one part, then jump to another part that may be on the far side of the sheet, then move back. No duplication, but no minimizing tool travel.

It all gets finished correctly, but hardly optimally. Clearly there is no optimization for minimizing jog moves.

Maybe Aspire V3.0?

Also I would love to be able to set a "working" origin to some point on a drawing. I have to get hole locations from blueprints relative to a datum, then change origin to another location to define shapes relative to a new origin. I have to leave Aspire to do that, should be do-able.

Enough product improvement suggestions..

D

chipster
05-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the responses. Any ideas on all the different Shopbot post processor suggestions?

dana_swift
05-06-2009, 02:35 PM
The post-processor I use is:

Shopbot (arcs)(inch)(alpha_control)(*.sbp)

In the directory "Aspire V2.0" there is a directory "PostP". I create an additional directory "OfflinePostP". I copy every file EXECPT the one I use into the "OfflinePostP" folder. Then the pop up list will never contain the "wrong" post processor. It helps prevent mistakes when I am in a hurry.

The post processor file is a text file, and when you learn more about shopbot control commands, you can modify your post processor to meet your needs better. For a while, use the posts just the way they are written..

Hope that helps.

D