PDA

View Full Version : 3D Software-Which one?

steve_patterson
08-18-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm looking to get into 3d designing (corbles etc.). I spoke to an associate who has has artcam and autocad but now is using Torbocad 3d ($500 on craigs list). Any suggestions?

tmerrill
08-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Steve,

You need to add Vectric's Aspire to your list. Excellent program at an excellent price (and without annual maintenance fees). Also great support both here and on their forum.

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/aspire/aspire_index.html

If you have specific questions regarding what you want to design and produce, you might consider posting your questions on the Vectric Forum. There have been some examples of corbels lately.

Tim

cabnet636
08-18-2009, 03:04 PM
i am kind partial to aspire as well, this was my first practice corbel with it, two steps and bada bing!!

jim

cabnet636
08-18-2009, 03:06 PM
for my next venture i carved a life size chess set!

jim

shoeshine
08-18-2009, 03:16 PM
I am partial to Rhino (not having used aspire) If you have any connection to a school or other educational credentials it is $195 ($995 full comercial version)

http://www.rhino3d.com/

mims
08-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Rhino is great. Far superior to most any 3D program out there in ease of use, cost, and ability. It does not have any real functions to create reliefs easily from vectors. This is the difference between Rhino/Autocad/Turbocad/etc and Artcam/Aspire/Enroute.

If you were doing this from scratch: http://img188.imageshack.us/i/rosete1.jpg/ ,
you would want to use Artcam/Aspire. It is possible to make in Rhino, but would be difficult to get fast, quality, seamless results. There is a plugin called Rhinoart which adds the relief making ability inside Rhino.

If you are creating your own organic designs from scratch, I'd recommend Artcam (if you can get it from him) or Aspire.

courtney2018
08-18-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm partial to Lightwave, which is more for the film/animation industry than anything else. But it's what I know how to use. It's really easy to use it. I'd like to try Rhino though.

Lightwave has a scripting language. I've never used it, but I would think that you could write a script to take the rosete1.jpg image above and translate the light and dark areas so that you have a 3D model of it in Lightwave.

gene
08-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Jim,
I want to learn how you did those chess pieces . Cant wait until oct 2/3 . I have taken what you showed me and have done a few cutouts with it. It helped alot , now on to bigger and better things.

cabnet636
08-18-2009, 11:49 PM
gene, one slice at a time!! lol

see you in october!!

jim

cabindoors
08-19-2009, 10:55 AM
James,

I'm facinated by your chess set enlargements. Where can I learn more about your technique? Any information would be appreciated.

I assume you scan the chess set pieces and do some enlarged slicing. Would I need an indexer?

Tom

erik_f
08-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Check out http://moi3d.com/...coming from Rhino it was refreshingly easier. Once you catch on to the method of design (which is described in the help file) it is very intuitive. V1 software is less that $200. The V2 beta is even better...you have to have V1 to try the V2 beta. There are fully functioning demo versions as well. This is from the guy that first designed Rhino. Support has been good also...he emailed me back usually with an hour or less. I also have Aspire and use that for tool paths. MOI and Aspire are both very useful for doing different things. If Aspire had and MOI plug in...it would be KILLER!

cabnet636
08-19-2009, 01:16 PM
these chess pieces were scanned by guy matthews of new wave woodworking in PA. i saw the african mask in the virtual show and tell section of the forum a year or so ago and got the idea from there. it is all sliced on a flat table cnc using aspire, thank god for daddy deep pockets as there is oneheck of a bit breaking, material wasting learning curve to carving deeeeppppp material

ron brown
08-19-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm a big fan of RHINO. With the lines on surface and the ability to offset surfaces, I can actually 'do' toolpaths in RHINO.

One can also have a model of the 3D part if they are doing such.

Whatever program one choses they should know it has the power to do anything they care to do. I've been running RHINO to years and am still haunted by ways that don't work with RHINO but did with an AutoDesk product (After dealing with them for years, I decided not to anymore).

Learning a new program, toolpath, CAM, CAD or art takes time better spent other ways.

Ron

steve_patterson
08-26-2009, 01:09 AM
Thanks for all the input! I have V-Carve Pro so I think I'll check out upgrading to Aspire.

Steve