PDA

View Full Version : Vcarve 1/8 Acrylic - Speed & Feed?

Call-Tech
03-19-2009, 02:56 PM
I am trying to vcarve some sign grade acrylic on the back for edge lighting project.

I tried several bits and 3/8 60 degree .040 deep gave the look I wanted, but I could not zero in a speed and feed that did not leave melted chips stuck around all grooves.

Anyone have any suggestions for speed and feed starting points? I did several searches on board and found many people doing vcarving on acrylic, but did not find reference to speeds.

PRT Alpha with PC.

-Fred

kerrazy
03-19-2009, 02:58 PM
.7 ips and 10,000 RPM

Call-Tech
03-19-2009, 03:24 PM
I made a mistake in my above request. I said vcarve and what I meant was that I am cutting along a vector using a v-bit, quite different than vcarving strategy. No climb mill vs conventional cut since its cutting both sides of cut at same time. The engravings are too complex and not designed in a way that I can use vcarve to cut them.

Dale thanks, I tried that combo and it is definitely cleaner than some combination's I have tried, but still too much material left stuck and it is stuck hard making it likely that i will damage acrylic trying to pry the excess loose.

-Fred

kerrazy
03-19-2009, 03:27 PM
DIal your router down more then.
It is too much heat and rewelding, if your lowest rpm does not help then increase your feed rate, but keep rpm's low

Call-Tech
03-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Dale,

Do you cut acrylic with or without protective paper layer?

I changed bits and started cutting perfect for about the first minute or so, then a little plastic stuck to the bit and started swirling around, this would damage surface of acylic. I have my PC at its lowest setting 10,000. I stopped it and cleaned bit off and started again. again it cut perfect for a while and then same problem. This was without paper on acrylic. I then tried cutting another with paper on, the paper made it so any small swirling plastic did not harm the surface and it fell off by itself every now and then. However removing the paper from in between all the intricate cuts after cutting was almost impossible without scratching surface of acrylic also.

Maybe a different bit, I like the looks of the vbit. I tried a 1/16 straight 2 flute bit but it was worse at collecting plastic around the bit. I don't currently have any round nose 1/16 bits. I need to use either a vbit or a 1/16 to get the intricate cuts I need. I have never tried to cut designs in plastics or acrylics, I usually just cut them into sign shapes and do not have these heat problems with larger bits.

Thoughts Dale or anyone?

-Fred

dewey_dog
03-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Fred,I would try a v-carve approach and a little air to cool things to see what happens. V-carved w/90deg amana bit lastnight in plexi at 12,500 w air to cool with no problems.

knight_toolworks
03-20-2009, 02:11 PM
sounds like you have extruded plastic verses cast. the extruded melts far more then the cast does.

gene
03-21-2009, 12:03 AM
I too am interested in this subject . I need to cut out some shapes from 3/16 acrylic . What would you all recommend for a bit and speed. Thanks

geneb
03-23-2009, 11:55 AM
For cutting, I've used 0 flute bits from Onsrud and used air cooling on the bit. It worked out very well.

I pocketed acrylic at 6000RPM and a .5ips feed rate.
You can see the result here:
http://www.f15sim.com/images/panels/fuel_panel_pair.jpg

The 'bot did the pocketing on the back, the panel outline and holes were laser cut.

I don't recall the # of the Onsrud bit, sorry.

khaos
03-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Couldn't you just tape up the paper over the cuts after carving and remove it in one swoop like that? (says the armchair quarterback)