PDA

View Full Version : Doubts about ShopBot

elijah
09-08-2006, 07:17 AM
I am planning to buy CNC router for hard wood carving. So naturally I started my investigation of the machines from ShopBot devices. But I faced with the problem of communication with ShopBot - they are not answering, or answering after two weeks, and after my repeat. Is it normal thing with ShopBot, or just I was unlucky? If the treat me this way, before my purchase, what I can expect after I will buy machine from them??? I am in Lithuania, so, I would like to know that I will get fast and qualified service (I mean advises) for solution of the problems, which often occur, as I noticed from this forum. Maybe somebody has an idea about it...
By the way, I sent inquiry to Techno CNC - they responded to me immediately. But Techno CNC is approx 10 thousands USD more expensive than the same ShopBot. So, I don't know what to do - to buy from Techno and have a good service, or to buy from ShopBot, and to be "on ice".

harryball
09-08-2006, 07:32 AM
Hmmm... I don't know about Lithuania response times, I know time Zones come into play and ShopBot is a smaller company. I stood on the floor at the IWF with every CNC company including Techno and none of them had anything on Shopbot so far as knowledgeable and quick responses. It was after some serious concerns like yours that I chose Shopbot. I've been very happy as a new owner (of 2 weeks now) at the response times.

As for this forum, it is a fantastic resource and 80% of my help has come directly from it. 5% from other shopbotters directly (off forum) and 15% direct from Shopbot. I tend to ask my questions here first before going to shopbot.

Perhaps some other international bot owners can speak up with their experience.

Robert

Ryan Patterson
09-08-2006, 07:36 AM
It is very rare for Shopbot not to be there for support. I have not dealt with any company that has better support then Shopbot. I have only add to call for support a few times and the problem was something I did not do correctly. I have called Shopbot several times with how can I do this type of questions. They always took the time to answer them.

elijah
09-08-2006, 08:11 AM
I sent my e-mail to Jamie from ShopBot on August 30. Later I repeated it on September 04. Still no answer from him or from anybody in ShopBot. Maybe they are very busy or there are holidays and all company is closed?
But then they could tell me that. No, here is the silence. How I can choose the router from them if they do not want to help me to do that? Now I have to beg them to answer to me. If honestly this makes me angry. I am seriously considering to pay 10000USD more in Techno CNC or in other place but to have good service. I understand that forum is good thing. But when I am purchasing expensive device, I would like to be sure, that I will get reply to my question. Now I have troubles even with purchasing from them, what I suppose to think?

mikejohn
09-08-2006, 08:13 AM
E.B
I am in Romania, same time zone as you.
I have nothing but praise for shopBots responses.
What questions do you need answering that are not answered on their website?
If you have a list of questions, post them here.
There are many experts to help you!
It would be unusual for someone contemplating a purchase not to find an answer here.
I carve hardwood with my Shopbot.

............Mike

elijah
09-08-2006, 08:28 AM
You should not think that I am strange person who likes to create problems for others and myself
There is not a problem time zone. I do not ask to answer to me immediately, and in most cases USA companies answering next day.
Yes, I wrote list of questions, because I received from ShopBot quote with components which are not exactly what I think I need. Also there was Item 500 USD more expensive then it is indicated in their website. Among other questions, I asked why there is such price. In other words I sent a list of reasonable questions, which are interesting to me. Nothing weird. I am curious - is there a chance that somebody from ShopBot will read this and will answer for me?

elijah
09-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Mike,

How have you solved hold down of small wooden parts? Do you use vacuum or solved it different way? I am not sure, if I need vacuum, maybe there other convenient ways to fix the material for carving etc.

harryball
09-08-2006, 09:49 AM
"I sent my e-mail to Jamie from ShopBot on August 30."

I've found Jamie to be a fantastic shopbot guy, very knowledgeable with quick responses. Was e-mail your only contact attempt? There is no substitute for picking up a phone.

I get hundreds of spams daily to deal with, emails get blocked or lost. I ONLY use email for critical concerns once two way communication is established and I know the receiver is getting my emails. If I send an email that never gets a response I assume first it was never received (no matter how much I want to think otherwise) and try to confirm receipt after a day or so.

Shopbot guys do watch the forums, but a direct phone call would be best.

Robert

paul_z
09-08-2006, 09:55 AM
E.B.

At the risk of speaking for ShopBot, I'd strongly suggest that you email them at support@shopbottools.com (mailto:support@shopbottools.com). It is possible that Jamie is out of pocket (vacation, sick, whatever).

The few times I have needed help ... let me rephrase that ... the few times I was smart enough to ask for help, I got answers very promptly. One time when I emailed a question to support, I had a reply email with a detailed answer nine minutes later.

Paul Z

mikejohn
09-08-2006, 09:59 AM
EB
No vacuum.
I use mostly shopbot made jigs or clamps, sometimes screws.

..............Mike

ryan_slaback
09-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Just a side note. Here in the states we had a holiday known as Labor Day on Monday Sept 4th. It is not at all uncommon for people to take off work the Friday prior to Labor Day as well. There is a good chance that Jamie might not have been there. I would suggest using the support@shopbottools (mailto:support@shopbottools) address at that can be checked by multiple people.

I have had nothing but top experiences. It was really cool that when I called with a problem with my alpha Chris told me to hold on a sec while he walked over to a machine exactly like mine so he could walk me through the problem.

paco
09-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Another very monitored email is support@shopbottools (mailto:support@shopbottools)

Phone is still the best DIRECT way to go...

gerald_d
09-08-2006, 11:05 AM
You guys are totally overrating the telephone call! :-)

1. Most ShopBotters will not be able to understand my accent if I called them and spoke at my normal speed - realise that us foreigners find it hard to listen to Americans speaking their home language. You speak of "zee", we speak of "zed". Effectively, we don't speak the same language, but we write a similar language in e-mails.

2. The toll-free number does not work for us foreigners - calls across the ocean are very expensive for us. Depending on the countries involved, a dollar/minute is not unusual.

3. There are only about 2 hours in the day that our office hours coincide - that is when we can sit in our offices and make tax-deductable calls. Otherwise we have to call from home in the evening.

4. Quite often we get bad lines where there are horrendous echoes or delays.

5. We don't know the tone signals of "ringing" versus "engaged" - we don't know if we should hold or hang up.

6. We don't know whether we should say Good Morning or Good Afternoon.

7. We don't like leaving messages to have someone return the call, because it will be expensive for them, and because we will probably have left the office by the time they reply. (I can only call within one hour of my regular leaving the office time)

8. Writing notes is dfficult while holding on to a telephone.

9. We are unaware of public holidays in other countries - when we get no reply we wonder whether we should try again on the same day or the next....

An e-mail sure beats all of the above!

I must add that my own experience of support from SB has been mediocre, and the owner of one other SB in Cape Town would rate it as poor (also got no replies to mails).

elijah
09-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi everyone and thanks for your replies.
I have to say that today I was contacted by two ladies from ShopBot. I think they noticed my complaint on this forum. They were very sorry about this situation and explained to me that Jamie is gone for a long vacation and etc. In other words - problem was solved and communication should work fine from now. So, I suppose it was like misunderstanding.
I agree with Gerald D - an e-mail for me is the most convenient way of communication, because written message serves forever, and it is more easy to understand the language.

Brady Watson
09-08-2006, 11:28 AM
E.B.
Jamie is vacationing at the moment, so that is probably why you haven't heard anything from him yet.

I would recommned e-mailing ShopBot as others suggest and setting up a mutually convenient time to talk about buying your CNC.

-B