PDA

View Full Version : My husband wants to buy a WHAT???

jacqui
01-20-2009, 07:57 AM
PURCHASING A CNC TOOL- A WIFE’S PERSPECTIVE

A few years ago, my husband came up with the brilliant idea of purchasing a laser engraving machine. While I understood his reasoning and how he planned on implementing it in his business, I must confess I was scared. After all, this is a man who is on a first name basis with the entire Fire Department in our town and the visions of ‘Dr. Evil’ and his laser beam did nothing to quell my fears.

Surprisingly, he did well with it… at first. He made his boat placards, engraved custom logo’s onto barware among other items and created a nice little niche for himself. Last September however, he decided he wanted to ‘expand’ his current line of goodies and add a new piece of machinery. He wasn’t sure yet what he would like to do, but the answer came to him after the fire. Oh… what fire was that you ask? That would be the fire the laser started and that nearly burned our house and shop down to the ground. Once again, the Fire Department was lining our driveway, shaking their heads at us.

It was during the subsequent filing of insurance claims that he began looking at CNC tools and machines. Being the quintessential scaredy cat that I am (and really… could you blame me?), I had questions – a LOT of questions.

What is a CNC tool?

What can you make with it that will turn some sort of profit?

How much are they?

But perhaps my most important question was ‘Will it burn our house down and raise our insurance rate AGAIN??’

Surprisingly, my husband decided to do a bit of research. He found a web-site for Shop-Bot and compared them to other manufacturers and made the trip to North Carolina to see them in person. Needless to say he was impressed with the machines. He was even more impressed at the way they approached their business. He came home excited at the prospect of owning one, but I was still skeptical. He then decided to take me to their training seminar so I could see firsthand how wonderful and glorious these machines are. He was like a high school boy in the throes of young love.

He signed us up for the training class and we made the trek to the Shop-Bot facility for their two day training class. I was the only woman in that class, surrounded by men that were no different from my husband and quite frankly, I only wanted to go shopping for shoes. As I sat through the class and watched the demonstrations however, I came to understand a few things.

dakers
01-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Great story, Freedom of choice is empowering but sometimes there can be fiery trials. We have to go through the fiery trials to get to the promised land. At least i hope it works that way for everyone.

phil_o
01-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Dear Jackie,

thank you for your tale. I read it to my wife, we both got a good laugh. I wish you and your husband great success with your new toy. How did your husband get you to attend the class with him? (Oh yeah, the fire.) I'm not sure I'd go that far to get my wife to take the class.

robtown
01-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Don't get too complacent. Keep a couple fire extinguishers handy and charged. Any time you touch a high speed tool to a piece of wood there's potential for fire. That being said, it should be a lot safer than a laser...

Congrats

paulkiecka
01-20-2009, 12:33 PM
# 5 depends if you are using a vacuum hold down system or not. A dull bit can over heat to the point of burning wood and all the air flow of the pull down system can really get things cooking. someone toasted their system a while back. I believe their are some pictures in the archives.
I am not trying to scare you just letting you know some caution must be taken.

scott_smith
01-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Guys, Do Not let your wife read this post... What if you want a laser next? Or a welder. Or a cutting torch.

Scott

P.S. I’ve never started a fire with the welder or torch but came close with the ShopBot once.
My fault, didn’t Z-zero a drill bit and the ShopBot used it as a router bit (Got a little hot).

P.P.S Great post.

bcondon
01-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Hmmmm. welder

I think I recently heard the words

"I want, I want"

angus_hines
01-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Wait till I tell her I'm getting a Plasma cutter too.a

jacqui
01-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Dear Pookie Love,

No.

Love,

The Smart One.

scott_smith
01-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Forum Admin, Can we get a wife filter on this thread?

Pookie, Plasma is a great choice! Should I call the FDP? I helped my brother-in-law start up his new TorchMate last Nov. Seems like a great machine.

jacqui
01-20-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm not sure what a plasma cutter is, but I know the prospect of the name combined with my husband (aka Johnny Danger) terrifies me.

Perhaps I should take out that extra life insurance? It's the only way to pay for the house insurance now, lol

cabnet636
01-20-2009, 07:13 PM
angus, you are gonna get a kick outa this, with all i got goin on, multiple cnc's 15000 sq ft of shop,in the middle of our town, 38 acre farm lots of land and barns!!

my wife will not let me bring a cnc any where near our home!! be grateful

jim mcgrew

scott_smith
01-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Angus,
To be serious for a second (it doesn’t happen often). Make sure your dust collector hoses are grounded. Mix air and sawdust and it becomes explosive. A static spark can set it off.

1)Use metal pipe wherever possible.
2)Attach a ground wire from that pipe to the dust collector
3)When you have to use plastic (like the flex hose) put a ground wire inside of it and attach it to the metal pipe.

I’m not trying to scare you or your wife, just thought you should be warned.

Google “dust explosion”

Scott

angus_hines
01-21-2009, 12:23 PM
I have taken care of all of that the only thing I haven't done is attach the DC to direct earth ground. Having seen a grain elevator explosion aftermath.

That was one of the first things I did. Now just to get that copper rod in the ground and attach the DC to it. I know Im fairly well protected by the electrical ground but just to error on the side of caution kind of thing.

Dont need some Ins Adjuster telling me Im out of luck because I failed to (insert whatever here).

jamesgilliam
01-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Angus, I agree with your idea of not counting on the electrical ground and going with an earth ground. After having moved my machine to it's new home I did a better job of grounding. When I decided on placement of it and the computer desk I drilled a hole through the slab and drove the rod there instead of trying to run abother wire across the floor, works great.

Smart One, I really have enjoyed your posts. When I decided to look at cnc I have to admit I was not that impressed. After seeing a ShopBot move and cut something, numbers in colorcore, I still was not sold. When we got in the truck to leave I asked Jo-Anne what she thought and she said to call Monday and get a quote. I guess she is another "smart one" too.

jacqui
01-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Thank you James!

Is your wife still good with you having a shop-bot? lol!

tkovacs
01-21-2009, 09:38 PM
FWIW - some interesting info on dust collection explosion issues:
http://home.comcast.net/~rodec/woodworking/articles/DC_myths.html

I remember reading this in Fine Woodworking magazine sometime ago.

bcondon
01-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Terry,

Thanks for the article. I have about 30' of 4" PVC with 8 gates on the line in the basement and a line to the dust collector and shopbot. All have a single base grounding wire inside attached to the shopbot, the dust collector and the length of the piping system and grounded to the power panel.

No issues at all.

I also placed 30" metal barrels with 2 stage separators at the shopbot and also at the dust collectors to catch the dust ahead of the dust collectors.

jamesgilliam
01-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Jackie, Not only is she good with me having one, she will run files on it when I am tied up doing other things. All I have to do is get the material held down in place, put in the proper bit, and let her know which files to run. We have had ours for almost eight years now and except for a few minor errors, mostly on our part,have had no problems.

jb_chu
01-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Jackie, You have provided a great service with your post. If ever there is any encouragement or support needed to help allay any fears or doubts regarding purchasing a ShopBot, your story will definitely help influence the decision. Thanks for helping further the cause of providing us with entertaining information to “tip the scales” in our favor for justifying the NEED for our ShopBots!

“Pookie”, how lucky can you get? A ShopBot – and a funny wife, and a house that as of now is still standing! Luck to both of you with your adventures in creating. Let us know what you end up making – and if you had to use any fire extinguishers in the process. (Just kidding.) Safe ShopBot-ing to you!
JB

dana_swift
01-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Terry- your link to the article on dust explosions is excellent. Well researched and thought out.

Thanks

D