PDA

View Full Version : Making a cross

handh
01-14-2008, 09:51 PM
A local church contacted us about making a cross for the exterior of their building. What would be the best material to rout it out of. Would you make in 1 pc or would you make it in 2 pc and assemble it. Any sugestions would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

harryball
01-15-2008, 08:57 AM
Exterior choices would depend on the finish. If you are looking for the natural wood look your wood choices include white oak, cedar, cypress, alder. If you are going to paint it, you might consider going with foam board and building up what you need.

1pc or 2pc depends on the size. If I could get the single pc on the bot in foam board or some other sheet good, I'd go with a 1pc design. If it is rather large you should probably consider 2 or more pcs and assemble it.

Weight will also be a consideration. If it is large then wood may be too heavy to secure it to their desired location.

Let us know how it goes,
Robert

elcruisr
01-15-2008, 11:17 AM
When possible I prefer HDU foam for a project like this. If you've got any good scenic painters in the area they can make it look like any wood you want. It can be blasted, carved or CNC'ed with any type of texture or pattern. You can also insert an aluminum or durable wood structural frame if size and/or mounting system requires it.

If done in wood R Ball pretty much covered it just factor in the weight of the wood considering project size. They might also need to check local ordinances concerning the project. Around here if it's over a certain size it will have to have a stamp of approval from a building engineer!

mmccue29
01-15-2008, 09:10 PM
I made this out of white oak but it was installed inside.

harryball
01-16-2008, 10:07 AM
When considering wood projects that may go outside... consider Alder if it's available. I've grown to love the wood. It machines well, can be stained to match almost any medium to dark wood and is all around easy to work with. It can be used for cutting boards, bowls, spoons etc... The more I discover about it the more I wonder why it is not more well known.

I have grown to almost loath red oak and white oak. It's everywhere and just has such a common look to me anymore. Granted... I grew up with white oak floors, oak furniture, oak cabinets... oak, oak, oak. Following the oak fixation my Mother changed to pine stained "Early American", the doors, trim, cabinets, walls... I REFUSE to stain anything with Early American. Also as a result... I mix alot of wood around the house to avoid "everything the same blahs".

In the end, ignore me and go with what you like. :-)

Robert

jamesgilliam
01-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Michael, Truly a beautiful cross. How large of a piece is it? Correct me if I am wrong but it looks as if it is supported by a cable or rope, visible in the upper left corner of the picture.

elcruisr
01-16-2008, 03:11 PM
I love alder but down here for years when you asked the lumber wholesalers for it you got lots of excuses but no wood. Now with the housing slowdown it's suddenly available. Imagine that! It is nice to work with but we still don't see the really high quality stuff locally. No wider stock and the idea of what "clear stock" means seems hard for them to grasp!

handh
01-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys, If I get the job I'll let you know how it turns out.