PDA

View Full Version : Shopbot as a thickness planer?

myxpykalix
06-16-2007, 11:18 PM
I need to glue several boards together to make a top for a blanket box and I can't use bisquits because i'm going to be carving into the top. Inevitably sometimes the boards might be just a hair out of alignment (you don't see that until the glue is hard) and i wondered if anyone has flattened a glued up set of boards with success.
I just resurfaced my table so i'm reasonably sure its ok.

olecrafty
06-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Jack,
I do that all the time. Especially with large table tops that get carving and inlays. You will have some swirl marks to sand over the entire surface. But those should be minor. I use a rubbing machine to make short order of them.

Kaiwa
olecrafty@charter.net (mailto:olecrafty@charter.net)

myxpykalix
06-16-2007, 11:53 PM
rubbing machine? is that the fancy gizmo that is powered by elbow grease?

btw..That router i bought from you, I have only maybe 30 hours on it and i noticed that even when i use it for 5 minutes the router collet gets too hot to even hold. The housing is not hot, just warm and the bit after cutting isn't as hot as the collet so i don't think its transferred heat from the bit/material. Any ideas? thanks

olecrafty
06-17-2007, 02:11 AM
A rubbing machine is a pneumatic straight line sander. There are only a couple of manufactures for them. The big ones weigh 37 pounds each and use 2 (1/3 sheet) sandpaper. There is a smaller one that only weighs 8 pounds also. They cost about $1,200 to $1,800 each. I purchased them at surplus auction for only a fraction of that. The rubbing machines work great but take a lot of air. You need at least a 5 hp compressor with a big tank.

As for the router. Sounds like the rotor is overheating. Could be brushes need changing but could be a problem with the rotor itself. I sold it to you thinking it was in good shape. If you have a repair facility close by and can get it to them I will pay for repairs. I hate that you are having trouble with it. Let me know what you need from me to make it right.

Jack if you want one of the big rubbing machines I will give you one if you will pay shipping.

Kaiwa
olecrafty@charter.net (mailto:olecrafty@charter.net)

myxpykalix
06-17-2007, 03:27 AM
"my name is Jimmy, i'll take anything you gimme"
I have a big compressor (will check size) you don't have a pic do you? I'll follow up via email. THANKS!!

fleinbach
06-17-2007, 05:19 AM
Jimmy,

See the 3rd paragraph here in one of my previous posts http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/show.cgi?tpc=17997&post=51371#POST51371

ryan_slaback
06-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Jack,
If only the collet is getting hot I would say that the bit is probably spinning inside the collet and causing the heat. Try a different collet.

paul_z
06-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Jack,

I flatten stuff using a large mortising bit. It leaves almost no swirls and cuts rapidly.

If you have to take off lots of material, you may need to do it in two passes because the first (deepest) cut may relieve stresses in the wood.

Paul Z