PDA

View Full Version : 3DS MAX capability request

paco
04-05-2007, 03:09 PM
I need to convert a 3DS *.max file to something else. Can be IGS, 3DS, 3DM or whatever... just let me know if you can convert the 3ds *.max format... I just stumble upon one (special request) of the rare format I cannot handle now!?!

robtown
04-05-2007, 03:31 PM
I can make a .max file into a .stl for you if that helps...

paco
04-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Rob, check your mail (the one from your profile) please...

paul_z
04-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Paco,

I may be able to help as well (if Rob can't).

Paul Z

paco
04-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks Rob! I fixed the problem about the duplicate vertex...

Thanks Paul! I got the file now and working on the project.

Isn't the Internet a pretty nice place?! I have friends all around the globe!

kfitz
04-06-2007, 02:39 PM
For anybody else that needs to convert a MAX file to something else; you may be able to DL a fully functional (but time-limited) copy of 3DS MAX from their web site. I did this several years ago.

As far as you go Paco; "What goes around comes around!" You have always been a big help to people on this forum. I'm glad to see that you got the help you need quickly.

brian_harnett
04-06-2007, 02:43 PM
You can download Blender for free and use it for file conversions also.

http://www.blender.org/

paco
04-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Kevin,

I did registered for a trial but it was about 650 MB download... that's a full day non stop with my 256K DSL.

Brian,

I've checked with Blender but it doesn't seem to handle *.max format... am I missing something? I just did a search on the Wiki with "file format" and *.max" keywords without success.

I can tell that Blender has been the only one I could use to remove duplicate vertex (thousands) probably due to the *.max format or the conversion. Both Rhino and Silo have been calculating "all" night on this while Blender done it in a flash! Still, I may have miss something... something that wasn't obvious though!?

jseiler
04-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Nothing but 3ds is going to handle .max files as .max files do not contain all the data needed to make the solid. They contain references to algorithms referenced from within the file. This is according to all I could find from the people who make money making conversion files.

there used to be a freeware program called gmax that 3ds supported. They stopped supporting it, but you might be able to dig up a copy someplace.

good luck,

John

paco
04-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Problem solved. Thanks to all.