View Full Version : "Ramp" cut along vector?

kevbo
05-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Is it possible to use ArtCam to select a drawn vector and tell the Shop Bot to cut that vector such that it does a gradual slop downward, into the material, over the length of the vector?
Example: Select line. Tell SB you want the start point to be 0 (material top surface) and the end point to be -.5") and it will calculate the path and adjust the Z heigh accordingly as it cuts along the vector length?
Sorry if this is a basic question. I searched through the forums and found information on 'ramping' setups in regard to replacing a plunge cut, etc but nothing specific on what I am trying to figure out.
Thanks in advance for any insight or link to thread.

ljdm
05-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Are you trying to cut a ramped groove? In AC, make rectangle the width/length you want, use shape editor to create the depth, then in relief tools, use fade relief to go from deepest to nothing.

thewoodcrafter
05-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Yes.

I would move to the beginning of your cut at Z=0 first.
I believe it is -
M3,distance over X axis,distance over Y axis, -.5

kevbo
05-12-2009, 12:42 PM
The ramped cut was going to as wide as the bit.

I will give these/this a try.

Thank you kindly!

john_how
05-13-2009, 12:59 AM
I do something like this for the ramp that leads into my slotted guitar headstaock. I simply made a vector (just a line), created a toolpath that cut on the vector to the depth I wanted, then edited the file to start the cut at Z=0. I'm sure there must be a way to do it in the partworks software but I don't know it. Not sure if this will help you though