PDA

View Full Version : Buddy 32 Problem

sheridan
01-11-2009, 02:50 PM
I just went out to run a file and I'm having some problems. I turned on the buddy and the software picked it up, but it wont move. I've re-booted everything several times. The control box seems to be working - it picks up the limit switches and zzero plate and I can switch the relays on/off. The motors won't move. The software shows that the tool is moving but nothing happens. When under power, I can also move each axis by hand (this is the first time I have ever moved one by hand). It is happening on all 3 axis. Any Ideas?

I've had the buddy for about 6 months and had no problem. Thanks

Phil

myxpykalix
01-11-2009, 03:00 PM
This may or may not help, but when i have things like this happen not only do i cycle the bot and computer of and on, but i also go over to the circuit box and shut the circuit off to release any little monkeys running around in the circuitry causing havoc. Does the Buddy just unplug? If so cyle of/on again but unplug also.
This may not help one bit...but who knows

sheridan
01-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks Jack but I already tried that. I unplugged it, waited a few minutes and still have the problem.

Phil

richards
01-11-2009, 06:57 PM
If everything on the computer is working properly, but the stepper motors are not moving, check the power supply that runs the stepper motors. Maybe someone can give you the value of the exact voltage, but I'm guessing that you should have 40V to 50V feeding the Geckos.

jerry_stanek
01-11-2009, 07:12 PM
My bot was doing something similar and I had to reload the firm ware on my controller.

sheridan
01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Mike, That is something I didn't think of. I checked and I'm getting 65v out of the transformer and the same running into the board so it doesn't seem like that is the problem. I'm guessing that it is not a computer issue simply because the motors don't lock into place when the control box is one - I can move them with just a little bit of pressure. Thanks!

Phil

sheridan
01-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I tried updating the firmware and it didn't make a difference. Still won't move.

gerryv
01-11-2009, 08:50 PM
If your software is seeing steps but you're getting no travel and you're able to move things manually when the steppers are powered, I'd wonder if some trickster had loosened the screws in all of your pinion gears :-)

richards
01-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Does the Buddy use a contactor (heavy duty relay) that turns on when power is applied or when a momentary switch is pressed (like the Alpha control boxes)?

If you have voltage available for the steppers, but the steppers are not "locking", then the steppers are not getting that voltage. Check the wiring between the power supply and the stepper drivers for any mechanical problems - fuse blown, loose wire, contactor/relay not working, etc.

erik_f
01-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Is your control software in Preview mode or Move mode?

myxpykalix
01-12-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm not sure if a buddy is made like a alpha with the big control box however I ran my tool into a block of wood cutting and I couldn't get it stopped before it blew the fuses. They are solid (buss?) type fuses, that to look at them you would not know they are blown. I replaced both of mine at around $10.00 each but i was having some of the same issues where you had power but nothing moved. Mikes post reminded me of it. Pull the fuses and check them. You may not have done anything to cause them to blow they could have just been weak. Use a plastic fusepuller or make sure its disconnected from the power.

sheridan
01-12-2009, 09:23 AM
This is a standard so it just has the plain box with a switch on it. I don't think it's a heavy duty relay.

Much beyond checking the voltage on something like this and I'm getting out of my league pretty quick. I can say the transformer is outputting 65V, and I checked the input wires to the board and it also reads 65V. The fuses are glass cylinders with metal ends and a wire through the middle. There seems to be one for each driver plus an extra one. None 'appear' to be blown on close inspection, but without picking up some new ones and swapping them out, I guess you wouldn't know for sure. The drivers are attached to the board so I don't know what else to check. Mike I think you hit the problem - the steppers are not 'locking' when the control box is turned on. And yes, it's in move mode

Phil

myxpykalix
01-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Those types of fuses are probably very inexpensive and a cheap way to rule out that as your problem. I'd replace them.

sheridan
01-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Yes! I (actually Mike) figured it out. I was replacing the fuses and going over everything, again for the fourth time
and found it. One of the wires on the transformer out to the board was pretty loose and not making good contact - I was just going through each connection and pulling on the wires. I know I checked Voltage on the cable going into the board yesterday, but I was also in panic 'oh **** the bot doesn't work' mode! Thanks everyone, especially Mike, for helping me get this figured out!!!

Phil