PDA

View Full Version : Setting Z height, new user

newton_c
02-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Hello,

New user here with a PRT Standard. I would like to know what is the procedure for basic setting of the Z height without a Zero plate. I am assuming that you lower the Z till bit touches material, then hit ZZ.

When setting up a file, I assume you specify the plunge depth as a negative (ie. -.256) from 0 (the Z that you set above). I noticed that when you select from the control software to cut a rectangle or circle that there is an entry for plunge depth. When running the sample shopbot logo file, I did not notice any way to set plunge depth?

Sorry for the basics, I am just getting into the manual.

Thanks

newton_c
02-02-2007, 02:00 PM
When I run the shopbot sample logo file. How do I know what material thickness, Z zero location (top of material or table) that the file was set up to work from?

What would be an appropriate speed for Z? I noticed that when I lower Z with the keyboard it is very sensitive (a little nudge turns into a large movement) this makes it dificult to set at either the table or the material height. By changing Z speed to a slower value (if thats the suggestion), would this make my cutting unreasonably slow?
Thanks

zeykr
02-02-2007, 04:51 PM
On the "K" there is a button labled 'fixed' (I think 'fixed' is the label but I'm not in front of my machine now) that will move the bit a small fixed distance with each key click. The amount it moves is a configurable variable.
Get you bit as close as you can with big movements, the hit the fixed button and get it exact.

Move your bit to top of table or workpiece then hit ZZ as you thought.

I'm not at machine so can't help with the shopbot logo file right now.

mikek
02-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Newton, go down to HD and buy a 1/8" thick piece of aluminum about a foot long, put a small bend on it, drill a hole on the bent up end and screw a wire on it and run it back to your control board. You now have a zzero plate that will last forever. Go through the setup routine and then use it!

newton_c
02-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Will do it Monday. I had no idea it was as simple as that. I will research the setup routine. THANKS!

byoc
02-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Yeah...do what mike kelly said. The z-zero plate is just a contact to complete a ground circuit to input 1. Very simple tool to build yourself. Just remember that when you run the z-zero plate operation, the machine automatically compensates .121" for the thickness of your plate as a default, so you need to measure the thickness of what ever material you use and compensate accordingly when you run the setup.

You'll know you wired up your z-zero plate correctly because whenever you touch it to ground, the little blue light for "input 1" will come on in the shopbot3 control window.

newton_c
02-06-2007, 04:26 PM
All great advice and helpfull to me. Ken, mike, Keith... thanks a bunch. The "K" does nudge the Z ever so slightly and I am now up and running with a Z Zero plate also. I found my my .125 aluminum was actually .135 so maybe it was metric material or something. I already had it here anyway. Thanks again.

richards
02-07-2007, 12:21 AM
You can adjust the variable used by the Zzero.sbp file by selecting "Setup Shopbot" from the "Tools" menu in the SB3 program. My Zzero plate measures 0.121-inches thick. I entered that value in the Setup program and now everything works.