PDA

View Full Version : 3D Ramping Threshold

gcoding
06-02-2006, 01:43 AM
I am planning on doing a lot 3D work, I was told that if I raise the 3D threshold that it would speed up the machining process. What would you guys suggest for a fast 3D threshold level..

paco
06-02-2006, 09:10 AM
I'd say harder the material = lower 3D threshold (default?) while the softer the higher. I've tried up to 400 in HDU and it was faster without being jerky.
Keep in mind that you won't be cutting your machining time by 50% but rather maybe some 5-15% or so. Still worth testing new settings...

Set it back to lower for 2D toolpaths; I have observed jerky movement with 2D tabs when 3D threshold is too high...

gerald_d
06-02-2006, 09:54 AM
What is "3D ramping threshold" and why would it need to be tweaked from project to project?

richards
06-02-2006, 12:39 PM
There is an excellent section in the on-line manual describing ramping. Start with the VR command and then click on the embedded link that talks about ramping in general.

As a general practice, I leave my ramp values alone, but I change my Alpha's Z-feed rate to 6-ips when I ramp into the material. When I drill into the material, I set the Z-axis feed rate to 0.5 or 0.75 ips. When the X, Y, and Z axes all move at (nearly) the same speed, efficiency is maximized.