PDA

View Full Version : Tab Power Slicer

john_l
11-10-2009, 09:06 PM
I thought this thing was like a toy when I first got it as a gift...

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=Multi-Max

I'll tell you though, it makes an excellent tab cutter with the 1" wide, serrated, straight blade. It gets two thumbs up.

jerry_stanek
11-10-2009, 09:25 PM
I just use my trim router with a flush cut bit works great.

dana_swift
11-10-2009, 09:37 PM
That is a good idea for a tab cutter, I have used the dremel with a 1/16" bit in it. It takes some skill but is quickly learned and goes right through tabs.

D

navigator7
11-11-2009, 08:08 AM
John,
You thought it was a toy...but does it really work?

The Fein MultiTool suggests it will cut through nails with ease but after searching some forums I found they must be pretty small nail.

What do you think of the thing for other uses besides tab cutting?

erik_f
11-11-2009, 08:46 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?itemnumber=67256

david_gardner
11-11-2009, 08:53 AM
I have the Harbor Freight one. Excellent tool. So many uses.

john_l
11-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Chuck,

I think, because I saw them on TV being used for everything short of suspended bridge construction, I just naturally believed it to be a cheap gimmick.

The only other project I have used it for was when we renovated a 45' motor coach here. Once, we vectored some interior wall paneling and cut it on the bot but there were still lots of little tweaks that needed to be done to get the stuff in place. This little tool really shined.

Surprisingly, to me anyway, is that I have excellent control with it. You can easily see and keep it right on your line.

It has it's place. I don't think I would be cutting nails with any of them. There is a local tool outlet here that has the Fein Brand version for $40. They look brand new but are refurbished units.... so maybe folks have been cutting too many nails, haha. So far, mine is holding up well though.

jerry_stanek
11-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Sears has a cordless version of that tool that I may be interested in. I have a fein multimaster that I love but at times I need it where there is no power.

courtney2018
11-11-2009, 10:46 AM
You know, I never thought of using those to cut tabs, but yea, looks like a good idea. I'd definitely would get the Harbor Freight version with the 20% off coupon!

jerry_stanek
11-11-2009, 11:53 AM
I have tried both ways one with my fein multi tool and one with my trim router The router was quicker and gave a nice cut that you don't need to clean up.