PDA

View Full Version : First lithophane

ssflyer
09-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, second, actually, since the first test was too thick, and suffered the dread "Potato Chip Syndrome" while milling the back down a bit! I carved this out of a 4"x4"x.5" sample of "White Jasmine" Corian. It isn't really white, and has some flecks in it, but turned out OK for a first run, I think. Roughed with a 1/8" tapered ball nose, and finished with a 1/16" ball nose. Total time on the machine was ~50 minutes. Now I need to find a local supplier who is willing to sell end pieces/scrap cheap! It seems to be getting harder to find white, anymore - everyone wants one of the newer colors! Of course, please accept my appologies for the poor photography!

mikeacg
09-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Ron,
Very impressive! I haven't tried one yet but I think that looking at this one has certainly helped me to understand how they work. I'll have to see what I can find to cut around here and give it a shot!
Mike

pappy
09-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Ron
I found it useful to get to know the installer for a local granite/marble shop. I have the corian from a couple of kitchen where they upgraded.

Doug

keith_outten
09-17-2009, 09:27 AM
You can purchase 1/4" thick Corian from any distributor without being a certified installer.

If you own a sign shop your can get certified to purchase 1/2" Corian by contacting Daniel Anderson at Dupont. Here is the contact information and more information:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65214

Dan will do all the work, he will contact your local distributor and they will setup your account and contact you.

myxpykalix
09-17-2009, 09:50 AM
or you can buy it off ebay in 12"x12" pieces for about 1-2 dollars apiece (last time i bought any)

ssflyer
09-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys,

All great suggestions! If I ever found a real paying market for these, I'd consider actually buying from a distributor, but at this point, I like the idea of getting leftover pieces from installers for a decidedly smaller price ;) I need to play with these some more to improve quality.

Michael, go for it! Corian cuts like butter, but is pretty fragile when it gets thin. I'm having fun with it.

Best regards,
Ron

mikeacg
09-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Ron,

I did some Corian for my bathroom remodel (no pictures until it is finished!) and liked the way the machine responded. I have a chunk of white boat board (don't know the exact name) left over from a project. It's tough as nails compared to Corian and pretty pricey but the guy let me keep it so I may give that a shot. Thanks for the encouragement!
Mike

brian_harnett
02-06-2010, 09:26 AM
High density polyethylene works pretty well and is very cheap I buy it at US Plastics.