PDA

View Full Version : Router Suggestions???

tuck
03-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Hello fellow Botheads! My old Porter Cable #75182 layed down on me today, right in the middle of a job. :-( I plan on having it repaired asap, but it occured to me today that I could use a back-up router for days like today. I cut mostly sign foam, plastics and pvc, so it doesn't have to have a gazillion hp, but I do need variable speed, 1/4" & 1/2" collets, and maybe 2 hp, if that. I am primarialy interested it QUIETNESS! Any of you guys using a particularly trusty and quiet router on your Shopbot that you just love and would recommend? I'm looking to spend maybe $200.00, depends. A plunge base would be nice too, for cutting slots in big heavy sign post.

Thanks in advance!

Tuck

billp
03-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Bosch 1617EVS meets MOST of your criteria. NO plunge base on it though...You could use the 'Bot for that work...

tuck
03-17-2005, 09:20 PM
I 'preciate that, Bill. Plunge base is not a necessity, but 8x8 x 16' pressure treated post ain't gonna fit on the 'Bot to cut slots,LOL, but I'll get by.I'll check out eBay for the Bosch.

Thanks!

fleinbach
03-18-2005, 04:11 AM
Mark

Maybe you should modify your table raising the X rails and use it for the 8 X 8's. There was a post sometime in the past couple of weeks where someone was raising there's 12" I haven't needed to cut any teated lumber that thick yet but I have cut treated deck parts and also Trex decking.

tuck
03-18-2005, 06:53 AM
Thank you, Frank, but FORGET ABOUT IT! LOL! ShopBots included, as wonderful as they are, never forget that sometimes it's better (easier) to take the tool to the work than the work to the tool! ;-)