PDA

View Full Version : Dumb mistake...

harryball
05-09-2009, 10:11 AM
No... I did not vacuum clamp myself to the table again... Do not accidentally try to run in relative mode when you should be running in absolute mode. I don't use relative mode much but I decided for one small project it made sense cutting the same item over and over on a single sheet type of thing.

I know someone else that did this with a worse outcome but I had the stops installed on my table. :-)

Yep, 3 years and I can still leave myself wondering what I was thinking.

/RB

coach
05-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Must be the day for it.
I also made a blunder. it was costly $$$$ and losing valuable time.

knight_toolworks
05-10-2009, 01:04 AM
nothing like forgetting to zero after changing a bit (G) bondo can be your best friend.

benchmench
05-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Robert,

I have yet to experience vacuum clamping myself to the table but I will probably knock something over after laughing...out loud, from your posts. Really funny! If there is a ever a cable channel for CNC comedy...

wberminio
05-10-2009, 04:16 PM
There is nothing like cutting a full sheet of premium cherry ply- And NOT Noticing that you Never turned on the vacuum !!

No one told me that owning a Shopbot could make you an abstract sculptor?

Erminio

curtiss
05-10-2009, 06:06 PM
I am sure we would all like to hear the
"I vacuumed myself to the table story again..."

One thing I do now... is when I grab the wrenches, I set the zero plate on the table at the same time. When I see the zero plate dragging around the table, I know that it might be time to actually use it....

toych
05-10-2009, 09:45 PM
The Z-zero clamp rally hurts (and scares the $**t out of you) when it hits you in the knuckle while you have your back to the machine.

I've heard that repetition is one of the best forms of teaching.....so far I've only done this twice!

Darren

Note, I have since learned that I don't need to use the clamp with my spindle..........must have skipped that page while reading the manual.

steve4460
05-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Well the screwUp ferry visited me to day. A couple of days ago I used my 6.5hp shopvack to clean up my car , and when I hooked it back up to the Bot I hooked it up to blow instead of suck and there for my spoil board lifted up in the middle of the table . So today when I wanted to resurface my table I turned on the vac went and C2 then C3 after chucking up my 1.5" surfacing bit , then turned on the dust collector and hit the start botton (at 10"ips) . Then I figured OK its time for a beer as I went to the fridge I hear the router bogging down , as I turn around to see whats going on I saw my gantry jump up and lunch forward . the router got quiet as it jamed in to the surface at x 48.00 and y0.750 at that time the overload driver protection kick out but the router kept on groning . So I had to jump on the table to turn of the router manualy . Once the dust settled down and a couple of choice words I had a 0.375 " deep gouge in the table and the whole gantry had jumped the trac . At that point I thought Oh boy now I busted the bot and there goes a ton of money to fix it . Well any way once I had half a beer I losend up the X motors but a floorjack under the gantry raised it and put it back on trac , put the motors on , check it for square . All is well, after changing the shopvac around , I then resurfased , and was so happy that nothing got wrecked . Had the rest of that beer and called it a day .
after 4 years that was just about the dumbest thing I have done with the bot .
Thanks Shopbot that the bot is build so well that it can handel a rocky mistake like that .
Bot on .

mccoy178
05-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Making a last minute Mothers Day gift last night, one of the nuts that holds on the custom dust boot came off. As I was putting it back into place, the Y axis went from 4" to .5" and sandwiched my wrist between the gantry and the side. Luckily, I was able to turn my wrist at the last possible second through sure panic. I thought for sure I was crushing my wrist. I was thinking about it afterward that I would of had to walk 5 feet like that before the Y moved again. That is the second close call I've had on the machine and each was very very scary. My wrist is sore today, but it is a nice reminder to not take the machine for granted!

beacon14
05-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Putting any part of your body near the spindle while the machine is running is just plain not a good idea. If you keep doing that you will have that third close call and maybe not walk away in one piece.

harryball
05-11-2009, 07:37 PM
I agree with David, never reach through, under, at or around the bot when it's running. On the other hand it's like falling down on ice. If there is no harm done... it's hilarious to watch. But that is NO reason to try it.

/RB