PDA

View Full Version : End Mill or Router Bits

bakerkr
10-28-2005, 08:59 PM
What is the difference between these two different bits? Is one better than the other? Was hoping someone could share their opinion.

Thanks,
Kevin

Brady Watson
10-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Kevin,
Upcut spiral bits are (in most cases) identical to end mills. Both can be HSS or solid carbide, but upcut spiral router bits tend to cost more than end mills...so by all means, buy end mills!

-Brady

gerald_d
10-29-2005, 12:09 AM
Kevin, the basic difference is that end mills have their origins with guys who cut metal and router bits come from the wood guys. There is a bit of a grey overlap area and the best thing for you is to experiment and find what works for you.

(The metal guys use "blunter" tip angles at the cutting face because they have bigger side loads and have to build a stronger cutter - also why they have shallower grooves)

mikejohn
10-29-2005, 12:26 AM
What's the difference between an end mill and a slot drill?
You're up early, been working all night on the new 'monster?'
.................Mike

tony_mac
10-29-2005, 06:41 AM
Mike,

End Mills have cutting edges on the bottom of the cutter that run from the cutting tip to the middle, allowing them to be used to plunge vertically into the job.

Slot Drills have a small recessed hole on the bottom face (used to support the cutter when grinding / sharpening) and cannot be used to plunge machine because the cutting edges do not cover the whole of the tool diameter.

Hope this makes sense?

Tony

gerald_d
10-29-2005, 08:32 AM
Tony, around here they are the other way around - slot drills can plunge, end-mills (with the center hole) cannot. I'm fairly sure that this is the same in the UK.

Mike, the sun was up then already! Did work on the monster today. Got the gantry square to the table by shimming behind the right wheel/s. Snag is, this thing is so stiff that it showed up faults in the x-rail alignment that also had to be fixed

tony_mac
10-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Oops - You are correct Gerald.

gerald_d
10-29-2005, 10:53 AM
No problem Tony - I'll bet that Redditch is overcast and wet today? That helps you software writers a lot. I am continually being dragged away from my hobbies to mow the lawn, clean the pool (drowned mole in there today)....

mikejohn
10-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Sir,
It has come to our notice that you are guilty of cruelty to the Talpa europaea, to wit "clean the pool (drowned mole in there today)....".

We ask, what did the mole do to you to deserve this?

Take note your name and location have been recorded.

S.A.R.C.A.S.M.
(South African [Republic] Campaign Against Stressing Moles)}

gerald_d
10-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Dear Mr John

You are mistaken as to the species. It was a "Cape Mole Rat (http://www.up.ac.za/academic/zoology/2003/img/molerat6.jpg)" Bathyergus suillus. This (http://www.theherald.co.za/herald/2005/08/15/news/n09_15082005.htm) is what a local newspaper has to say about them.

Yours sincerely
The Hitman