PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Log Lally column cover

myxpykalix
04-05-2009, 08:49 PM
I make lally column covers usually spirals or fluted columns but i have a guy who wants me to take a log cut it in half and hollow out the center to make a cover similar to this picture.

I can go to my buddy who has a sawmill get the log, have him saw it down the center to make both halves. I just wonder if anyone has done anything like this before?
I originally thought i would mount the halves in my indexer and hollow them out but wondered about the weight being a factor? Not sure if there is enough clearance for laying the log on the table and doing it there. Any tips?

Gary Campbell
04-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Jack...
I have done this for log homes in the past. Saw the log in half with a band saw mill... hollow it out with a chain saw. First with a couple V cuts lengthwise and then some nosewheel "sanding" with the bar perpendicular to the length of the log. BTW this probably not an approved practice, but then again, most anytime someone picks up a chainsaw, something unapproved happens.
Gary

myxpykalix
04-05-2009, 10:52 PM
My thought was since it needed to be 7'2" in length we would cut it at probably 8'.
Have the sawmill guy slice it down the middle.
Then mount it on my indexer and create a "trough" (troff) toolpath to hollow it out. I have some 2" and 3" corebox bits. I'm sure it will take much longer but in the longrun my chances of keeping all my fingers is much higher.

Gary, were you using dry wood or green wood? Did you have any issues with warping after hollowing?

Gary Campbell
04-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Jack..
These were "kiln dried" turned logs from a log home mfgr. Of course they twisted, they were only dry on the outer third. We strapped them with cardboard and plastic banding.
Gary