View Full Version : CNC and melamine board

sonny
10-09-2005, 12:47 AM
I've been searching for a cnc flatbed router able to take kitchen layouts (panels) and do all drilling and cutting. Im located in Australia and only have a few very expensive options to buy here.

What I would like to know is, is there a version of Shopbot with a vacuum table that can cut 2400mm x 1800mm sized sheet? If not I can live with the 2400 x 1200.

Also I have looked at the images and cant see any reference to tool change. Would I have to manually change the routers tooling for each process?

What I would need one for, is to cut each panel into smaller parts with one router bit, then drill all the construction holes and adjustable shelf holes with a 5mm bit.

Has anyone already got a setup like this? I also read something about optional air drills.

Any advice would be appriecated.

mikejohn
10-09-2005, 03:30 AM
Sonny
You appear to only need two seperate tools, so can fit two Z axis.
2400mm (2500 mm actually cutting) is standard length, 1200mm (1260 cutting) is standard width for a Alpha 96.
You can get a wider table to 1800mm, although there is a lot of discussion on flexing of wider carriages in this forum.
Incidentally, its better to drill the holes first, cut out second.
Many people are using the 'bot for kitchen layouts, there's even free software to assist.

As long as you follow the sensible advice in these forums. I feel sure you will be delighted with the machine.
its as good as the English cricket team
...................Mike

ken_r
10-09-2005, 04:44 AM
Hi Sonny
Where are you situated, I am from Burleigh Heads in QLD and have two of these machines, if you would like to check them out just let me know.

benchmark
10-09-2005, 05:57 AM
Hi Sonny

Try this link www.shopbottools.com/cabinetpkg.htm (http://www.shopbottools.com/cabinetpkg.htm)

They have the whole package Shopbot,Spindle, Drilling unit,Vacuum and Software + very good price.

Paul

gene
10-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Mike
What type of free software are you refering to?
I use my bot to process kitchen pannels and would like to know of this software.
Thanks Gene

paco
10-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Cabinet Parts Pro (http://www.cabinetpartspro.com/) is one...

sonny
10-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks all. I will look into this a bit deeper.

Ken, is there a distributer in Australia? Or id you import it yourself, if so how much did shiiping cost?

davidp
10-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Sonny,

Your profile doesn’t say where your are but If you are located in Sydney, we are in Dee Why. We have had a PRT Alpha 96 for 12 months. If you want to see it working give me a call. You are more than welcome to come around to have a play any time.

Our total cost including 3hp Columbo Spindle, 2nd Z Axis, computers, software, 3hp cyclone dust extractor, 15hp side channel Blower(vacuum), electrical, import duty, GST Freight, steel table etc etc was just on AUD$56,000. We ended up air freighting ours, it saved weeks in time and was about 1/3 the cost in fact it was almost as expensive to get it shipped from Shopbot Factory to Cincinnati as from Cincinnati to Sydney.

Most salesmen will tell you the bare bones price of their CNC, for the Multicam it is AUD$70k but then you need, dust extraction, vacuum hold down, software, computer, tooling, electrical hookup, installation and training. All of these items were included in the price I mentioned.

You must realise that the Shopbot does have limitations. A Morabidelli will cut kitchens faster, but they will cost you up to ten times as much in dollar terms and I guarantee that the learning curve is a lot steeper, and mistakes are much more expensive.

As an exercise ask the salesman what happens if you forget the decimal point in the depth of cut so that the z depth becomes 45mm and not 4.5mm and watch carefully his expression. It cost me two new sheets of MDF and a Broken cutter. It cost my mate with a big machine a new shiny machined aluminium table and his job.

If I had my time over and knowing what I know now, I would buy another Shopbot but it would be a PRT Alpha 120 (larger Table) and I would go for a spindle with an Auto Tool Change collet. You do not necessarily need an auto tool changer but the ATC collet makes manual changing a snap.

There is one other thing that is valuable about a Shopbot and that is this forum. It is probably the best information resource you will find. The members are more than willing to assist in any way they can. Ask and thou shall receive.

Regards,

David

Ps Just excuse Mike Johns for a while he is still on a high because we let them win the Ashes a while ago and he is still gloating. He would have been inconsolate if they had lost again might have even slit his wrists. So just humour him. :-)

mikejohn
10-11-2005, 09:25 AM
David,
The scars from the friendly gibes I received in 1975-6 still have to heal!
But they did just get a lot better

............Mike

dvanr
10-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Sonny,

At the other end of the cost scale, a PRTalpha 96 kit alone, locally built table, Triton router and electrical will run you about $18,000.

The forum....priceless

Add the ability to modify the machine as you please. If you contact Shopbot they would no doubt offer advice on your table width requirements

I'm located in the Hornsby, NSW area. Same offer as David, if you want to have a look and kick the V rollers (so to speak)