View Full Version : Painting/coloring MDF for lithopane

myxpykalix
03-18-2007, 03:25 AM
I've made a lithopane and am experimenting with mounting it into mdf and doing some more carving on the face with his name and USMC, ect. but i need advice on how i might paint/color the mdf. I made a usmc logo out of cherry and am going to attach to the face of the mdf so I'm confused about what color and how to paint the mdf so it doesn't clash with the wood tones.
What about painting the mdf in a camoflage patten? Any thoughts on how to stain the wood so it wouldn't clash with that? Any advice on how to paint the camo design (what color go on what layers first, second, ect)
Should I, or could i carve a camoflage pattern into the mdf? Where would i find a dxf something like that? Or should i just paint it on?

myxpykalix
03-18-2007, 03:44 AM
Also does anyone know the name of the font used for the USMC logo? I don't think its a stencil, but more like a stamp?

jseiler
03-18-2007, 07:57 AM
do they make camo vinyl? that's make it really easy, even if you just wanted to use it as a stencil. I'm sure a google image search would turn up camo patterns too that could be retraced for carving.

I'm not sure if this will help, but minwax makes colored gell stain. I'm doing dressers for my daughters in purple stain. The grain shows through, but its also colored. this might keep the wood from clashing if you wanted something other than gray or brown.

John