PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gifts

zeykr
12-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Just two more boxes to make - times getting short!

Most were cut from Ash, a couple from Austrailian Cypress, one Redwood, and one Eastern Cedar.

dubliner
12-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Hey Ken, excellent work & Merry Christmas too! Now if those lids have a lip underneath I will be awed!!

myxpykalix
12-24-2008, 03:09 PM
That was what i was going to ask was about the lip. I wanted to cut a round boxlid with a carving on top out of square material and wanted a small lip on the underside to keep the lid on and my thought was to make a circle around the perimeter using the carving as a guide and make a profile cut for the toolpath just .15 deep, then flip the piece over and do the carving on the opposite side..sound about right?

zeykr
12-24-2008, 03:48 PM

Sure there's a lip. Wouldn't fit very tight without one ;-)

Jack, You're making it hard - I like the lazy way. I just cut the 3d toolpath from the top (with a couple tabs to hold it) so the top is at least 1/2" thick not counting the text. Clean up the edges on sander to remove tabs, then go to router table and use 1/4" rabbet bit with 3/8" bearing to cut the lip. For my rabbet and area clear bits, making the walls ~.24 makes a tight fitting top.

On the odd shapes, just offset the outline as though you were using a 3/8" bit to do an inlay, that way all radiuses are compatible with the rabbet bit.