PDA

View Full Version : Rational conical boxes/coffins/cases

henrik_o
01-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Ok, this is not about the décor -- though you can use your imagination. No, it's about the construction: making strong and durable angled boxes (etc) in massive wood, on the ‘bot of course. There are many ways to approach this. I have previously tried using dados, which works very well for ply boxes etc but in my experience is not that well suited for massive wood construction.

I am not going to say my method is great: it is not suited for volume production, and it does not provide the aesthetics of a dovetailed box. It is, however, one approach, and has a distinct look about it. If this suits a project of yours, well, it is a very easy box structure to make and assemble, with an absolute minimum of manual work.

Right. This is one specimen. After retrieving it from the hungry jaws of the ‘bot, I did some light sanding (10 minutes), sawed out a bottom to fit in the slot (1 minute) and glued it up. Applied some wax, say 5 minutes, and voila, there’s your angled box.

I don’t think it’s that bad for a ~15 minute job.

If you look at the stacked pieces below the box, you can see the half-open mortise/tenon construction it’s based on. Everything is, of course, cut with the same bit.

In the next image;

Here is an example where the lid has been put in the shaper to give a raised panel look. A bit more work, but still trivial all things considered.

In the above pics, the basic dimensions are the same, but this method can be applied to make a box/case of almost any dimension, as we see in this pic of an urn:

The lid is a bit more complex, but it is still a very fast job.

Getting back to the box in the first two pictures, this is what it looks like in V-Carve Pro:

Scaling the dimension does involve some manual CAD work; it is not a parametric design – though it could easily be made such. You see here the pocketing which provides the robust and self-aligning assembly – despite the angled/conical form it is very easy to glue it, since the construction translates ‘straight’ clamp pressure to good angled glue joints.

Also, it can be made to work with massive wood panels (or engineered wood panels), an example of the urn type shape nested on a sheet shown here:

There are several ways to enhance the construction, I think, but so far this is what I have discovered. It is not suited for mass production because it takes a bit too much time to machine, but it does provide for a very easy way to make conical/angled boxes in smaller series.

khaos
01-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Thats nice Henrik. It leaves a great lip for an accenting corner dressing.

wberminio
01-22-2009, 02:56 PM
You never cease to impress,Henrik.
I like the possibilities....
Thanks for sharing!

Erminio

tkovacs
01-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Henrik,
Really nice. I like the look too.

I will try this.

Terry

henrik_o
01-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks guys!

Joe: "It leaves a great lip for an accenting corner dressing."

I believe it does, but without having tried it I assume that if you want a non-lipped corner, then you can make one tool change (or not, if you have a dual z -- yay!) and use a v-bit to profile the corners.

It should produce a box with zero lip and very tight corner fit.

I should also mention that the number of mortises/tenons is way overdone in the above examples. It depends on the tensile forces one assumes, but for a pretty small box (or, for larger boxes, one where height is a high proportion of the width) it should be satisfactory to have 2 to 3 mortises.

This should make machining on the 'bot a lot more rapid. Most of the time involved as of now is in the pocketing.

I also believe that if one built a purpose-made jig for assembly -- and did not rely on the self-alignment properties of the current design, the precision of the mortises/tenons is not nearly as important, which would mean they coud be machined much much faster than I have done hitherto.

The 'sheet of urns' example takes almost two hours to machine now, but with fairly small changes and a proper assembly jig I think it could be done in approximately 40 minutes.

Given that this sheet contains parts for 12 urns (sans lid) this means total time of machining can probably be brought down to just over 3 minutes per urn (again, sans lid).

That would make it potentially suitable for mass production, I think.

henrik_o
01-22-2009, 04:11 PM
I should also add that using the current design, the radius of the pocketing bit is visible in the inside corners -- which actually can look quite nice -- but if you don't want that I am about to try one approach where a slot is machined over the mortises in order to give a fully hidden joint.

myxpykalix
01-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Nice work Henrik. This looks like your version of a half blind dovetail type design? It looks like you wind up with a inside 90 degree corner (on the outside) and i'm not clear on how you achieve that? Are your two different sides using a "half lap" joint to achieve this?

Gary Campbell
01-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Henrik...
You do an excellent job of "tricking" the wood!

Nice job! Keep up the good work.

Gary