View Full Version : Anti virus software?

bob_s
05-07-2009, 11:00 PM
I have just gotten my new PRS alpha up and running. The Norton 360 on this computer has to GO. It causes problems and cannot be shut off. Is there any consensus on a good anti-virus program that does not cause problems? I have this machine on a wireless network with my design computer, so I would like to use something. I am running XP.
thanks -
It has been an amazing few days - putting together one enormous erector set, and now I can start to make things with it. The table is surfaced, with just a slight pattern. now tomorrow I need to get the Z axis of the spindle right, it's off a few thousands. Who needs sleep anyway.

nomi
05-08-2009, 12:44 AM
I've had very good luck with Kaspersky Anti-Virus.

Much less overhead than Norton. Works well with other programs etc.

- Noel

myxpykalix
05-08-2009, 03:00 AM
If this machine is dedicated for use only by the bot i would take it off the network and remove the antivirus program. Just use a thumbdrive to take cut files to the machine. I think having it on the network will cause more problems then solve. But i'm no computer expert.

davew
05-08-2009, 08:50 AM
try AVG anti-virus, they have a free version. I been using e-cabinets for a few yrs. and Norton kept jamming up the software. The subject came up on the e-cab forum about 1 1/2 years ago, and AVG was spoken of very well.
David Werkheiser

bcammack
05-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Second the vote for Grisoft's free AVG software.

Second the idea of leaving the control computer off-network and using a thumbdrive to bring programs to the ShopBot.

wberminio
05-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I've been using Avast free software for years.
It's an excellent anti-virus software.

I second the thumb drive.

Erminio

coach
05-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Third for the thumb drive.
Third for AVG free anti virus.
Norton was such a headache when I had it.

rcnewcomb
05-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Another vote for the Thumb Drive and AVG.

Do we see a pattern emerging?

rick_woodward
05-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Got rid of Norton a couple years ago, went to AVG. Now have AVAST. It is VERY powerful, "lite" on my computer, fast and the best i ever had. Automatically updated everyday. Virus hackers are now attacking even common sites.Avast, avast , avast.

cutitout
05-11-2009, 11:31 AM
the best bet for the Shopbot PC is to kill all networking. Move files through "sneaker net" on a USB drive.

If it never checks email or connects to the "internets" there is no need for an Anti Virus.