PDA

View Full Version : Changing Table Leg Position

bill_lumley
06-21-2009, 01:37 PM
When I first built my PRS I did not see any mention of where to put the legs in relation to the rails until after everything was but together . This has not been a big probelem until now because my air drill can not reach the entire length of the X-axis because of this .
Is it possible to shift the rails down one at a time say 5 inches by just loosening all the bolts holding the rail to the table and tapping on the end of the rail assuming I have supported the weight of the table ? Has anyone done this ? I hate to take everything apart to fix this

Thanks Bill

bstern
06-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi Bill.
I did the same thing and then added the drill. I loosened all the bolts on one side at a time and then used a tapping block and a small sledge hammer. I don’t know if I can wholly recommend this procedure but, it did work for me. It even kept its square. Good luck.

bill_lumley
06-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Bob , did you have to take the Gantry off for this procedure ? What you describe is sort of what I had in mind ?

srwtlc
06-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Been there done that too. ;-) I didn't have the gantry all hooked up at the time so I took it off. You could support the gantry with a block at one end on the table and then support the table from underneath. Pop out the endcaps on the rails and use a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer.

bstern
06-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Its been a while but, I think I left the gantry on. Like I said, I don't know if I can endorse it, but it worked.

You may want to use Scott's procedure.