PDA

View Full Version : Officially A Shopbot & Buddy Owner

courtney2018
08-22-2009, 06:09 AM
Got on the road about 11:15pm on Thursday night in West Palm Beach, FL and traveled up to Durham to pick up my Buddy Friday morning. Loaded it and on the road back by about 1pm. Took quite a bit longer to get back home as you might would think. Off-loaded the Buddy about an hour and a half ago (4:30am Saturday morning), and about to go to bed. It's rolled into place, but it'll have to wait until I get up tomorrow to hook it all up and everything else. I'll load up some pics if anyone is interested. I've officially been up and driving for 48 hours straight now. I'm bushed!

carlosgmarroquin
08-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Christmas came in August.

myxpykalix
08-22-2009, 09:46 AM
well we know what you will be dreaming about as you catch up on your sleep.

curtiss
08-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Did you get a free thermos of coffee at Durham for your trip back ??

tkovacs
08-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Nice road trip. Congratulations!

courtney2018
08-22-2009, 11:43 AM
I was asleep before I got comfortable in bed. Pretty tired!

Since I don't do coffee they didn't give me any, but they did give me an extra hat. Apparently they don't have Tshirts? I figure for over $9100 they could throw in an extra hat. :o)

Taking the trailer back today and hoping to get the bot all wired up and doing some tricks by the end of the day. Maybe. Still have to cut the yard. :o(

courtney2018
08-22-2009, 11:45 AM
By the way, if anyone is getting the Buddy48 I can tell you what dimensions to build your dolly/caster system if you're doing your own. Mine worked out to be perfect. The guy in the shop was able to put his forklift forks between the Buddy's bottom rails and the supporting rails of my dolly. Worked out perfect! Rolls around nice. All for around $50.

robtown
08-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Ummm... I don't know what they told you in Durham, Bots can cut a lot of things but I don't think anybody has figured out how to cut the yard with one... yet... ;)

Welcome to the club.

dana_swift
08-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Congratulations-- where is the photos?

And the idea of sleep at a time like this? There is sawdust to make!

Welcome to the satisfaction, amazement and terror that comes with such a machine!

D

courtney2018
08-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Looks like I'll be holding off until tomorrow. Had to get some electrical wire, and a couple of electrical plugs for this thing. Most people probably hard wire it in, but I'm going with the plug route. I can't wait to get this thing cutting. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

This thing is bigger than I thought it was going to be.

courtney2018
08-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Here's some pics! Sorry they're small. I had to shrink them up so I could post them. I can't wait to get this beast running!

courtney2018
08-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Instead, look at them on my site where you can actually SEE them pics. LOL.

http://www.2018customsandstudio.com/images/gallery/DSC00386.JPG
http://www.2018customsandstudio.com/images/gallery/DSC00387.JPG
http://www.2018customsandstudio.com/images/gallery/DSC00388.JPG
http://www.2018customsandstudio.com/images/gallery/DSC00389.JPG
http://www.2018customsandstudio.com/images/gallery/DSC00390.JPG

r_jones
08-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Congrats and thank you!! It's nice to see someone have about as much room as I have

These things can cut the grass too??? LOL

dana_swift
08-22-2009, 08:21 PM
In fact shopbots do an excellent job of cutting grass. The trick is to get each blade onto table one at a time, cut it, then put it back in the lawn!

D

myxpykalix
08-22-2009, 09:38 PM
looks like its time to clear the garage out!! I have the same problem. I built a 16X24 shop then put a 6x10 bot in and have to turn sideways to get around. Well have fun...

gene
08-22-2009, 11:57 PM
I started in a 20 x 20 and kept on buying tools so i built a 30 x 60 and bought more tools then added 20 x 60 and bought tools to fill it so now i am planning another add on 30 x 30 for just sanding and door equipment. The madness never ends !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Courtney , What are you planning to cut on the buddy?

courtney2018
08-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Clean the garage out? It is cleaned out! I can actually walk in there now. Last week it was a mess! What you can't see, toolwise, is there's a table saw, router table, jointer, planer, band saw, drill press, roll-around toolbox, shelves for wood, and shelves for paint. All the big tools are on roll-around dollies, like the Buddy is now, so that I can roll them out onto the driveway under my portable gazebo. That way I'm not stuck in the garage. However, I don't plan on rolling the Buddy out there to work. It's going to stay in the garage.

Gene, I'll mostly be cutting guitars. Here's my website if you want to check it out. I'm still adding content to it.

www.2018customsandstudio.com (http://www.2018customsandstudio.com)

I'm also trying to get some other stuff to do such as plaques for a neighbor of mine. He does detailing and maintanence for multimillion dollar yachts. I'm going to model in Lightwave some of the yachts he works on and cut them in 3D. Make a nice plaque/display of the customers boat.

There's a few photography related ideas, frames, PhotoVCarve, etc. There's also alot of little ideas, but mostly it's ways to use scrap wood.

myxpykalix
08-23-2009, 03:21 AM
Gene it sounds like you have a vicious cycle going on there.
I have the same problem and went to the doctor for a diagnosis and was told i suffer from "OCTD"
Obsessive Compulsive Tool Disorder- It is characterized by ones compulsion to hoard tools and the need to buy any new tool that comes along. One of the tell tale signs is the need to fill empty spaces in ones shop with new tools and a need to constantly move things around to make room.
Sound familiar anyone?

t_vandemark
08-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Congrats on the new buddy. I just bought the same machine and am waiting for it to be delivered. It should arrive in a week or so, the wait is killing me. Have fun and don't forget to share.

dana_swift
08-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Tyler- looking forward to your homecoming also!

What are you going to be making? Or are you cutting the grass with yours also?

D

t_vandemark
08-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Dana, I will be mostly be making signs but i have a few other project in mind that i want to try. The growing season is almost over up here in Canada so no i won't be cutting the grass with my bot, haha.

courtney2018
08-24-2009, 12:52 AM
It's all wired up now. Just have to get the computer set up and connected. I hope to be cutting something tomorrow...besides the grass, which WAS cut today. I'm very surprised that I wasn't able to find a wiring schematic on the control box to know what's what in there.

Anyways, I'll probably try some of those downloadable files off the site and try them.

dana_swift
08-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Tyler, if your experience is like most of ours.. you will be making all kinds of things. The versatility of the machine and design software open up possibilities yet-unthought-of.

Which machine did you order?

D

toych
08-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Tyler, if you order your bot with extra travel on the z you could drill for oil out there in Alberta............If you get lucky could you send some my way in Ontario, the old shop truck is a little hard on fuel.

Darren