PDA

View Full Version : Advise please

sisco_kid
04-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Hello to all,
I’ve been a forum reader for about 6 months now and figured its time to post. I am considering purchasing a shopbot soon and need a little advise.
I am in the millwork finishing business and have done woodworking as a hobby for about 15 years now not counting helping my grandfather in his shop long ago.
I am considering very seriously starting a small business building various items, cabinets, bookcases, and some smaller items. My motivation is my son is disabled and has downs syndrome, he just finished high school and can no longer go to school(which he loved) because he is over 22. My will not be able to hold normal employment because of his disability and I hate the idea and thought of him being out from what you see and hear in this world today. I am very protective of him and will be forever. My thoughts are to start a business where he can hangout with me(which he loves hanging with dad) so I’ll have a peace of mind. Enough about us personally, I was wondering I have no cnc experience, but am very computer literate. I can design, build and finish the product, programming the computer to do what I want will be where I’m lost. How long of a learning curve will the programming part of the cnc be? I am going to take some classes to help in this area, just need an idea what I’m in for. I not looking to get rich, just have a small shop to produce quality product, pay my bills and provide peace of mind and provide the best quality of life for my son as I can. Any suggestions, advise, concerns would be greatly appreciated. Thats probably enough for my first post. By the way you guys create the coolest things and would love to be a part of your community. Thanks for your time and look forward to hearing and one day meeting ya. God bless and have a Happy Easter!

scott_smith
04-10-2009, 01:31 PM
When I got into Shopboting in 02 the software was very limited and difficult to work with. These days the software that comes with the machine is outstanding! The learning curve is getting shorter and shorter.

It is a big plus if you are experienced in design software like AutoCAD or Corel Draw or … AutoCAD is my weapon of choice.

ken_rychlik
04-10-2009, 01:56 PM
I did it the other way around Mike. I built up the buisness with normal tools and bought the bot when it was needed to keep up. The learning curve won't be bad if you are computer literate. Pick a cad program and start drawing now. I use turbo cad, because it was cheap, but have moved on to other drawing programs now. As long as the program will export a file (I use dxf format) to another program the file you draw today can be cut later on your machine.

Then creating a toolpath is much easier than drawing the part. Just tell the software what bit you have what speed you want the machine to run, and some other variables that you will pick up on very quickly.

Vectric has some good software that is priced reasonably. They have free download trial versions as well. With their programs you can draw the part and make the toolpath in one place and not transfer files from autocad, turbocad or whatever cad program you choose.

Take care

joe_dusel
04-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Now that there is a link between eCabinet Systems cabinet design software and ShopBot you might want to sign up at www.ecabinetsystems.com (http://www.ecabinetsystems.com) for a copy of this very powerful, free software. I have been using eCabs for 6 or 7 years now and love it. Now I just need to get a ShopBot to process my files.

Here is a link to some information on my web site about the software:

http://www.woodistry.com/ecabinetSystemsClass.htm

Joe

wberminio
04-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Mike I had very limited Computer design skills and 0 CNC knowlege.In less than 2 years,I'm actually using my Shopbot without any trepidation.
ShopBot support is unbelievable along with this forum,you can't go wrong.You WILL make mistakes,but there is always someone to help you out.
IT would be good to go to a local camp to see the machine and more importantly the people that work with a Shopbot

Erminio

gene
04-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Mike,
What part of the country are you located? I have done the same as Kenneth and built a buisness and then bought a bot. The learning curve is not bad with the experience you have . I bought a bot with no cnc or computer experience , The forum is a MUST have. There is more help than you can ever use.
Also go to a local camp and see for yourself. I know that you said that you are not in it to get rich but its better when a hobby can support itsself and even make a few bucks. Try to set up a buisness plan and see what the reality of doing so contains. I basically build cabinets , bookcases and fireplace mantles and do so for homeowners and remodelers and are doing good. There is also the part cutting for others as well as wooden signs, The hardest part is finding your nich and finding products that do good in your area,
Best of luck with your decision. Gene

ken_rychlik
04-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Mike, As good as the shopbot is for it's cost, Gene is kind of echoing my thoughts. Have a product lined up to make that you are comfortable you will make money on before laying out the cash. The only reason I think there are so many used bots (wich reallly isn't a lot) for sale, is the lack of planning or a product that would sell.
If you pay cash for the tool and don't have to worry about next months bill it's a little easier. Having a note to make at the bank and no buisness is a tough spot to be in.
I bought mine with profits from making kitchens. I know I have more kitchens to make and feel lucky to have them.
Whatever product you plan to sell, it would be good to line up the buisness first. Unlike Erminio, I am running strong in less than 2 months. If it were a 2 year learning curve, I would sell it in a heartbeat. It has to earn it's keep to stay in my little shop.
Kenneth

wberminio
04-12-2009, 01:52 PM
I totally agree with you Kenneth.
Knowing what you initially intended to use the tool for is important.
What I've learned is my Shopbot use
is evolving.I started with the plan to cut cabinet parts,now I'm also starting to do carvings and signs and more customizing my cabinetry.I didn't mean to say my learning curve was 2 years(though I'm learning more each day).
I'm with you, to have a machine ,worth as much as a car ,taking up room in my shop and not paying for it's keep- it would be out the door.
I'm very happy to say that is not the case.

Erminio

mikek
04-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Mike, I don't know where you are located, but there is a Houston ShopBot Camp on May 2nd that is dedicated to what a lot of your questions are about. If you are fairly close it would be a great opportunity to kick some tires and ask a lot of knowledgeable people a lot of questions.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/11096/38332.html?1239399141

I think with your background you would pick up the software end real quick. I am not familiar with eCabinet Systems yet, but I think it is probably straightforward and not like learning AutoCAD. Some CAD knowledge is desireable, but not totally nesessary.

fishhawk
04-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Mike,
I bought my Bot about a year ago and found that it was pretty straight forward. With my limited computer skills and the great technical support that I’ve received from Shopbot, it has been somewhat of a smooth transition from my antiquated saws to CNC. If I had to start equipping my shop over again, my first piece I would buy would be a Shopbot, because it is just so VERSATILE.
Good luck to you and your son.
Matt

sisco_kid
04-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys for all of your input.Im in Murfreesboro,Tn. Yea the place that was just hit terribly hard by tornados last friday. I'm about 1/2 mile from where the f3 started, its humbling to see the destruction something like that can do. Im sure i'll pickup on the bot and its workings and its good to know from what i've read on this forum, theres plenty of help here and from shopbot. I'll be putting together a plan very soon and will get to the either may or june training classes and probably make purchase then to save shipping costs. just need to get the ducks in a row and get it going. thanks for all you advise and support in the near future.

rcnewcomb
04-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Mike,
I recall that there are some wood carvers in your area. You might be able to offer them the service of doing the rough-out of their carvings and they do the finish work. Bill Pulumbo talked about a similar thing that was done for mask carvings in Alaska.

angus_hines
04-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Mike you may want to call and order your Bot now then pick it up when you go to training.

They don't just have these sitting around in boxes they are built to order.

robredick
04-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Look into the shipping cost Vs Sales Tax. It may be cheaper to have it shipped than to pay the sales tax.

If you do get a Bot. My advice (once you are comfortable with the Bot)...

Go to all of the sign shops, cabinet makers, artists, closet companies, even trinket and furniture shops in you area and tell them what you have and that you are available as an extra hand. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.