View Full Version : Looking at buying a shopbot

gazmalman
06-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Im looking for something to cut and do small amounts of engraving on 1mm thick aluminium sheet. Ive been looking at a few routers and plasma tables on the web and it seems its a bit of a minefield! Ive not seen a bad word said againts the shopbots though. Anyway I would be glad for any views or advice on using a shopbot for this sort of work bearing in mind im very new to CNC.

zeykr
06-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Depending on exactly what you are doing, 1mm thick sounds like some pretty detailed work to do with a shopbot. If you can give some more detail on what it is you want to do, someone here can probably comment on the feasability of it on a shopbot.

gazmalman
06-08-2006, 02:37 PM
This is a bit of a dxf from one of my designs for a cut out from aluminium sheet, the holes would be drilled. Basically I will be making seat boxes for fishing. If you want to get an idea then have a look here- www.brilobox.co.uk (http://www.brilobox.co.uk)
When I say I want to engrave its more like 'etching' just a small logo on the components of the box.

ste_baker
06-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Hi Gareth I live in Middlesbrough UK and have just ordered a bot. It is due to leave the factory on the 30th of this month. Once I have it set up and running you are welcome to have a look at it, perhaps we could test cut your logo into a piece of ali. Did you know that Robert Lofthouse in Blackburn Lancs is running a shopbot camp on Sat/Sun 10/11th of June. You can find a link to it on the campshopbot/jamboree topic. Best wishes Stephen

gazmalman
06-08-2006, 06:23 PM
I saw the post about the camp just today so its a bit short notice, which is a shame because it would have been good im sure.

I'll take you up on the offer though to have a look for definate as im only down the road at chester-le-street.

Out of interest what are you paying in import tax, seems like a really mad system for getting the rates, I was quoted 2.7%.

ste_baker
06-09-2006, 08:58 AM
I am in touch with customs now, and it would seem that the mechanical and electrical components of the bot draw a differrent rate of duty. Vat is also payable at the standard rate.