PDA

View Full Version : Widget Works

john_hartman
03-18-2009, 07:30 AM
Who has used the WW Plotter Pen Bit? Does it work as well as the video demonstrates? How well does it work on plywood? Doesn't the pen tip get clogged with wood dust/fibers?

I was thinking it would be a great tool to label plywood cabinet parts, however ink would be a problem for stained projects. Is there a pencil version?

jseiler
03-18-2009, 08:00 AM
I like mine. I find that it tends to bleed a little on uncoated plywood, but it works great on paper. I also found that the tip tends to pick up sawdust and drop off bits of it where its not wanted (be careful removing the bits as they will leave smudges), so its critical to make sure your surface is really clean before plotting. You probably could get a pencil to work, but i've not tried that. You might have to use softer pencil lead than #2.

Its nice if you have kids because you can make very big sized coloring book pages. My kids love that.

ed_lang
03-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Hello John,

I have the plotter pen and like it very much. I use it on lacquer finished jigs and fixtures to mark and label them. I have not marked on unfinished wood, but would expect the ink to bleed a bit.... easy to test, just try a fine line sharpie on your material. This little pen is very simple and there is nothing to go wrong. There are plans around to make such a tool, but I felt that Russ Todd had done such a good job that I was not going to re-invent the wheel so to speak so I bought one. I am happy with mine.

I also have his diamond drag and knife but have not used either of them.

harryball
03-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Very simple, effective and gives good results.

/RB

john_hartman
03-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks for feed-back, guys.. I think I'll give it try..