PDA

View Full Version : Stairs Manufacturing

janrus
03-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Does anyone out there has hands on experience in manufacturing stairs? Where to buy wedges, what kind of glue to use etc. We have written a V-Basic program that produces the sb file to cut the stringer. One can input all the info and the sb file will cut the patter for the stringer including wedge pattern. Now I need to talk to some one who actually knows how to build the stairs.

benchmark
03-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Hi Jan

You normally cut your own wedges from your offcuts using a jig for the saw.....the type of glue depends where you install the staircase... I just use waterproof PVA all the time. I have done some development work with Les Newell (who wrote the excellent SheetCam programme), his StairDesigner wrote a DXF file from a given set of inputs so you are able to machine a pair of stair strings back to back, unfortunately we have been busy so things are on the back burner.

If you need any more information please let me know.

Paul

john_shiel
03-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Hello Jan,
We make stairs for our living.If we can help we will. I will reply directly. Both Paul and Les have been very supportive in developing Les's StairDesigner for users like ourselves.John .

southernstair
10-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Hello stair people..
I'm thinking about buying a shopbot..
Can you tell me how it would help?

fleinbach
10-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Absolutely incredibly!

Well that pretty much sums it up. I'm not a stair people, but I have built several stairs with the Shopbot both open and closed Stringers and it is both easy and accurate.

myxpykalix
10-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Can anyone elaborate on this "SheetCam programme", and StairDesigner program mentioned above? This sounds like it might just give you another option to offer services to builders?