PDA

View Full Version : Router blew up!

dray
02-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Well wouldnt you know it my router blew up!

About a month ago it was time to rebuild my router the bearings were starting to go. I had bought a rebuild kit from Shopbot about 6 months ago so no problem I thought.

I pulled my router apart and cleaned everything out then went digging for my rebuild kit, found it and started to replace the bearings and brushes.

After looking through my rebuild kit I found that Shopbot sent me 2 of the same bearings instead of one large and one small I got 2 small.. GRR

So I called Shopbot, talked to Frank he said he would overnight me one, I never heard back and I had cabinets stacking up so I ordered the same size sealed bearing from Grainger and went locally to pick it up.

I installed the new bearing put it all back together and viola back to work. Then last week I was cuting out a radius mahogany window sash and WHAM BOOM SCREECH and BOOM. The router completely explodes ruining my window!!!

The Grainger bearing froze suddenly and ruined the aluminum case to my router.

This is a heads up to any of you that have bought a rebuild kit for your Porter Cable 75182 router kit from Shopbot You may have 2 large bearings instead of 1 large and 1 small.

Check out your rebuild kit and make sure you have the right bearings before you end up making a mistake like I did!

Also on a side note I got a brand new router delivered in 2 days from Amazon.com for $300

br928
02-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Look back at some previous threads. Make sure you use shielded bearing and not sealed ones. Sealed bearings are not rated for the higher end RPMs of the router.

br928
02-19-2008, 04:23 PM
I recently replaced the bearings in my PC router. I used NSK bearings purchased from Motion Industries. I got them in two days. The large bearing is 6005ZZC3 and the small one is 6202ZZC3. After running the router for 5 minutes @ 21K RPM the collet is still cool to the touch. With the previous bearings it was always warm if not hot.

I retrieved most of this information from previous posts. The only choice to make was which manufacturer. My salesperson was convinced that the NSK was holding up better than the others. I will let you know if mine seizes up! So far so good.