PDA

View Full Version : URGENT (x-post) Need feedback from small shop SB owners

johnm
08-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Folks -

Forgive the cross-post here, I first posted in the business section, but I need to make some noise and hopefully get some assistance from a few of you kind souls.

We are *thisclose* to getting financing for a PRT96, and picking up a HUGE job about 3 months out to pay for it, and I *REALLY* could use your feedback.

We are negotiating with a private lender for the purchase, and it ....looks.... good, but they aren't really familiar with 'Bots, the forum here, and the how the use of a shop bot has helped small shop owners.

If you are using a 'Bot in a small commercial setting, could you perhaps please send me a quick email describing how you've incorporated the 'Bot in your operation, your "getting up to speed" curve and your general feedback on how the machine has (or hasn't) helped your bottom line. I have additional documentation that I am preparing for the lender, and would like to give them a sheaf of emails to give them a better picture.

I am a furniture maker, and also teach woodworking. My wife is a graphic artist and we would be using the machine to produce gingerbread trim for a new housing development. We have a shop at our home and if we get the machine, my wife will leave her "day job" and work on creating/adapting designs and we will both operate the machine, depending on my teaching schedule for the fall.

Please send your emails to my address at johnmoorhead@sbcglobal.net (mailto:johnmoorhead@sbcglobal.net) rather than the school address in my profile (MCOE)

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

John Moorhead
Lakeport, CA

paco
08-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Buying a such machine in a hurry could proove frustrating...

johnm
08-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Paco -

I already have experience with a benchtop 'Bot and have gone through a bit of a trial by fire getting it running for the school. I already have produced prototypes of the components that comprise our first contract - the production of fence pickets. We don't need to do any "vector busting" - it's already done....

If it takes a month from the time we order a bot do you think that an additional 6-8 weeks for assembly, testing, troubleshooting and gearing up for production is really cutting the lead time too short?? Lemme know, and thanks!

John

paco
08-04-2005, 01:03 PM
OH... OK!

Then unless a specific problem arise, getting the tool up and working should'nt be any long. I'd say give yourself at least a week for assembly and testing (assuming your handy). As for getting geared for production, it will vary from your needs... The more time you'll have, the less stress you'll get!!! Have you considered picking up your tool at SB?

johnm
08-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Paco -

We're on the West Coast, and it's unlikely that we would be able to convince the airlines that a PRT96 is carry-on luggage. I've spoken with Scott at SB, and he said that while that's a good option for people that are somewhat close to NC, it really isn't an option for those of us out here in lala land...

It was worth a shot, tho'

Thanks!

John