PDA

View Full Version : Getting the new table built.

knight_toolworks
03-31-2007, 09:08 PM
had to clean my shop and re arrange it. still got to find room for my otehr bandsaw. but here are the pictures. pretty much all of the wood is 3/4" baltic birch. even sitting on the cans thing thing is solid. about 5# of screws in it.
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/

dray
03-31-2007, 10:24 PM
cool table!!
Its not solid its 3/4" ply right?
Thats bitchen.. I wish I had build mine. But wit hthe PRS they "said" I needed the table which I dont.

Really nice setup. Glued and screwed?

knight_toolworks
03-31-2007, 11:13 PM
what do you mean not solid? the main rails are three pieces laminated together thye center rails are 2 pieces laminated. the legs straddle the rail and then are filled in with scrap.
if you got the new one then they say you can't make the table. I bought mine in december.

dray
04-01-2007, 01:08 AM
I meant I thought you might have used ply for expansion/contraction reasons. Looks like you could park a truck on it!

dray
04-01-2007, 01:12 AM
HEYA whats up with all the vacuum setups? Does that cyclone thing really work? Why do you have soo many dust vac setups? Im thinking I need more now!

I saw that cyclone thing for dust vac on some website did you make it or? and how does it work compared to cloth bag setup?

richards
04-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Steve,
Didn't you read the fine print on the pre-sales agreement, the part that lists the equiment that you're allowed to own post-purchase? It clearly states that you're NOT allowed to own both a Slider and a Shopbot at the same time. As chairman of the enforcement committee, it's my unpleasant task to strictly enforce the rules. Because, I'm certain that this was just an oversight on your part, I won't enforce the entire penalty, which would require you to forfeit both machines, but I will have to enforce paragraph 6934, section z951, where it states that you will have to forfeit one or the other. I'll arrange to have a truck sent to your shop to pick up whichever piece of equipment you wish to forfeit. Please contact me off-forum so that arrangements can be made.

Sorry for posting this publicly, but it may help others from making the same mistake. Please try to enjoy the rest of the day. April 1st is always special.

-Mike

dray
04-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Yeah Im coming over to pick up the slider

knight_toolworks
04-01-2007, 12:27 PM
the cyclone works great. I mostly work with tropical woods and they make the finest dust you can imagine. so I had to use a lot of bags to help catch it. plus it gives me the most airflow I can get.
the slider is not mine. myself I would not buy it unless I worked mostly sheetgoods. it is a pain to rip smaller stuff on and it gets in the way as you can see.

knight_toolworks
04-04-2007, 12:26 AM
here are some more pics. got the table sealed with several coats of paint glued on a sheet of ply underneeth. got the table level all around. chose the wrong feet the nuts to adjust them get covered by the feet when it is on them so I had to jack it up to level it.
the angle iron had a dip on each side. but after looking at the shopbot rails they will need a really flat surface since they are not super sturdy on thier own.

knight_toolworks
04-04-2007, 11:49 PM
a couple more pictures. I goofed and should have mounted the angle iron to the inside of the table. I could not remember what way it went and I could not get on the internet when I did it. it works but I need a couple of mods. I need to change the bolts to flat ehads and countersink them. you cna see the head getting in the way. if I ahd the 2x3" angle iron I wanted then it may never have been an issue. plus the stops won't fasten ot the gear track so I will have to modify them. this is far faster then taking it all apart and changing the cangle iron.

knight_toolworks
04-06-2007, 12:15 AM
well got thje z in today that was a battle. I get it all in and find I only have about 4" of travel before the spindle hits the rails. So I had to take out the z and use the other mounting holes. then I had a real hard time getting it square side to side. Finally had to rig up some clamps to pull it over. I also had to ream out the mounting holes so I could tip the spindle slightly. it only needed a tiny bit but the bolts were so tight there was no give at all.

tuck
04-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Damn nice job, Steve! Beautiful!!!