PDA

View Full Version : 2d and 3d Plastic and wood headphone amp boxes.

knight_toolworks
03-30-2009, 02:48 AM
These are battery powered headphone amps very high end electronics. They retail for around 800.00
I have made quite a few ipod docks and other electronic boxes. These are hollowed solid wood boxes. I do all the woodworking and I made the plastic plate and adaptors. I don’t do the laser engraving or make the white inserts or the electronics.
I did battle to get the plate that holds the jack the ipod/itouch/iphone plugs into and the plastic piece the player rests in. getting the depth on the inside was so hard and cutting them at an angle was a real pain. I would have to dial in the cut each time I made a few.
Well I finally figured out how to do it with plastic. It took some work and a lot of test cuts to get it right. To get the main plastic plates to all fit was a real battle since they are different on the backside. They are designed to have a pressure plate to hold them in place and I can’t do that. The holes are threaded for the plate so it can be removed.
These boxes are 7”wide 5.1” deep and 2.75” tall some are glued up and some are solid depending on the wood I can find. I hogged them out with a ½” downcut bit at 2” ips ½” cut depth. The holes are cut with a 1/8” downcut. The plastic is milled with a 1/8” upcut endmill. The 3d ramp is cut with a ¼” upcut.

I had a friend draw out the 3d ramp I used cut3d to do the toolpath. Then imported it into vcarve 5. I drew out the rest in vcarve. This was cut on my shopbot.
here is the link to the pictures no use hacking them up so they will fit.
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/shopbot%20posting/