PDA

View Full Version : Egg-Crate Shelves and Partitions

harold_weber
09-16-2008, 10:29 PM
This is something I would not have attempted without the ShopBot. I wanted to build these cabinets with shelves and vertical partitions that interlocked among themselves and the cabinet frame. You can see the approach taken, cutting the slots into the cabinet frames and into the actual partitions and shelves. All the slots were cut 0.012 inch wider and deeper than the mating parts, and everything went together very well. There are two different size cabinets, the smaller one is quarter-sawn white oak and the larger one is cherry.

In case you're wondering what these cabinets are for, they are for ladies' shoes. The larger one holds 63 pairs.

khaos
09-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Thats cool.

myxpykalix
09-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Harold,
That is very nice. I don't need to ask if the person you made this for even asked you to quote a price for building it.

Because if they can afford 63 pairs of shoes, price is of no consequence. lol. Good job.
BTW- what did you have to pay for your quartersawn white oak?

harold_weber
09-17-2008, 07:09 AM
Jack, Frank Miller Lumber in Union City, Indiana specializes in quarter-sawn lumber. Last time I was there (in March), they were charging $4.67/BF for 4/4 white oak, quarter sawn, S&B, board widths 7" and up. If you can live with narrower widths, their price was $3.60/BF. They have a web site, but prices are not posted there.

bcammack
09-17-2008, 08:04 AM
The narrow one gave me an idea: remember those bookshelf/CD rack units that had storage down the left 50% of each side and sat on a turntable? I'd wager that there'd be a market for a similarly designed shoe storage unit. You could even make them modular and stackable.

My wife has a mind-boggling collection of shoes, so I am *always* interested in shoe storage solutions.

Great work!

beacon14
09-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Harold, you wife and mine apparently have a lot in common. Excellent job both in the concept and execution.