PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in or near Miami with a laser cutter?

Mayo
04-13-2007, 10:11 PM
A customer contacted me to do a job which I cannot do with my shopbot. It will require a laser cutter capable of cutting 1/4" PVC. There are 15 double sided displays for table centerpieces. The customer is located in Miami. The job needs to be delivered before 04/27/07. For further details, email me.

pete
04-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Mayo - PVC is one of the "prohibited" items that should not be cut with a laser. The fumes are bad for the machine and the operator. I think a CNC router would be the best option. Pete

Mayo
04-14-2007, 01:20 PM
I didn't think about the problem with fumes from PVC. Good point. The job could be done using other material - MDF or acrylic. Acrylic would be better since no painting would be involved.

The reason the job cannot be done on the router is the letters are Times New Roman Italic and the lower case letters are only 3/4". This means the small parts of the serifs are only .026 to .034

Maybe it could be done with a 1/16" bit, but not in material 1/4" thick and not very quickly. There are 15 double sided displays with 7 large letters and 15 small letters on each side, for a total of 210 large letters and 450 small letters.

jhicks
04-14-2007, 05:58 PM
No matter who cuts them or what they are cut with, those tips will be extremely fragile and wont last long in a display environment.Probably wont make it much past packaging and shipping.
Sounds risky and expensive to me but if you figure out how to accomplish effectively with 1/4" material I would love to hear how. Even vinyl letters that small would be fragile.

I don't see any reason one cant cut 1/4" with a 1/16" bit though in pvc. we have used it for 1/4" color core with some tiny details and it works well with an O flute.

bcammack
04-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Call Flow International (800-446-FLOW) and see if you can get a reference for a customer in the SE Florida area that could do the job for you. I think a water-jet cutter would be just the ticket for you.

Mayo
04-16-2007, 10:31 PM
I've told the customer that I can't do this job.
I did suggest to them that they find someone who can laser cut so maybe they'll find someone.