PDA

View Full Version : Low Cost Tool Setup from Power Hacksaw blade :-)

khalid
03-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Most of the time my concern is toward limitations and non-availability in the tools i have
.. This motivate me to make a simple adapters that can hold the cutting tips of any profile shapes cut from the Power Hacksaw blade. No Brazing No welding

I visit the Junk yard and found bundle of damaged and broken blade.. then i made a simple adapter that can cut the side profile shapes. The tool itself act as a bearing too...

My next version is also under fabrication.. the next adapter will hold cutter tips that can work for plunge cutting..

The attached picture will give you some idea what i have made...

mikeacg
03-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Khalid,

You do so much with so little! I love to read all your posts just to learn that nothing can stop us from doing great things despite the hand we are dealt. Thanks for sharing!

Mike

robtown
03-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love the initiative...

But you chuck that up and spin it at high speed???

khalid
03-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks Michael for your appreciation words and Rob for your geniune criticism

Rob.. I always love to hear from the great shopbotters
.. i like criticism
... The above tool is not as simple as you see... At the bottom (or base of the blade) i have larger bore in which blade fit... then from the top the screw is fully tightened..

For plunge tool i provided a screw... I will make a hole in the "Hacksaw profiled Blade"..this will make the blade sandwiched between the tool shank... (sorry for my fractured english)..

Here is the picture...

cabindoors
03-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Khalid,

That looks extremely dangerous to me. It will also damage bearings easily.

Perhaps I do not understand it's use.

myxpykalix
03-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Khalid,
I consider you the "McGyver" of this forum, but I don't understand how you will be using this tool? But i'm always interested to see what you come up with...

angus_hines
03-27-2009, 09:24 PM
I love your innovation Khalid and your artistry.

SO I have an idea.

Let's start a thing where we each send Dianne what we can, and when the balance reaches whatever it takes to ship Khalid a set of ShopBot starter bits. We'll be done.

In other words lets all chip in and get Khalid a set of ShopBot starter bits.

After a longer look.

WE REALLY NEED TO DO THIS FOR HIS SAFETY......LOL. I just see that little cutter flying out a 16,000 rpms and hurting something.

khalid
03-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Tom Justin, jack jarvis and Angus Hines thanks for your concern on my safety
... This make me good feelings about all of you ...

I know this tool is running at 26000 RPM.. so i designed the bit in such a way that it moves in the slot and fit in the female groove....It is better show you the Mechanical construction drawing....

Angus.. Thanks for your proposal, but I don't need the tools.. Today i will try to convince you all and post some more pictures... and by the help of all of You i will modify it and make it more safe...

Thanks for all of your positive Feedback

Regards
KFK

khalid
03-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Ohh Jack Jarvis i missed you in the above post.. sorry and thanks for your post... Following is the reply to your query...

Basically the tool i posted in my first post can/can't be used on the CNC router... At least i never use it on my router but the second tool holder i posted in my SECOND POST will be used for this purpose on my small cnc setup...

Now please check the following pictures and give me the suggestions for improvement..

In the pictures keep in mind the following points:

1- I cut the paper to replicate the hack saw blade to show you this demonstration... The paper is thin and lots of ups and downs so bear with it that its the paper not the actual hacksaw blade...you can see i made a hole in that paper for the screw..

2- The slot in the tool is almost equal to the blade thickness so that blade have no movement at all... Also the screw will tight the blade...

3- One side of the hole in the Rod is tapped whereas the otherside is just a countersunk hole...

4- I will grind the blade on both sides for proper cutting edge...

What you all think?

PS:
A tool with unlimited Profile shapes ;)

angus_hines
03-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Ok I give can you make me some tools.....LOL.

gabepari
03-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Here's another option...

http://www.amanatool.com/ingroove/index.htm

Gabe

njandpa
03-28-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm sure his way is better being in Pakistan and everything that comes with that.......

khalid
03-29-2009, 06:44 AM
Okay here are few updates.. For safety and better grip of the tool blade i made a M6 hole at the bottom of Blade Holder and tapped M6 threads for Ln screw..

This Ln head screw will keep tight the blade from the bottom...

you can see How sharp the tip of the custom made V-bit
.. Sharp tip mean Fine Vcarving
Tomorrow i will drill the hole in V-blade and will put it under test after balancing

myxpykalix
03-29-2009, 03:36 PM
This guy is a living example of the phrase:
"Make do with what you got"

Although i'm afraid if we ever see a picture of this guy he's liable to have some metal like you see above sticking out the side of his head! lol

gene
03-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Lets Hope not, They say that need is the mother of invention. Its like nothing can hold him back. If i ever get stranded on a deserted island i hope Khalid is there. No doubt he would build a airplane out of 2 palm trees 3 coconuts and some bamboo and fly everyone home safely

khalid
03-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Jack... My router spindle is just at the level of my BELLY, so i am not worry about my head ;)

Gene.. Its your greatness that you say those words for me..But, I am not that good... I love CNC... And when there is Zeal and interest creativity comes out...

As for as Safety is concerned, I am working with Organization where Safety is There Business
... I have all the PPE's and Work Instructions.. I even did JSA and JHA of the tool and my work place (The room where my Hobby Flourishes)... ;)

Hope I will be with you to show you the results of this Bit..Lets Cross the Fingers...

khalid
03-30-2009, 03:51 AM
So Here is my Bald Head and the Blade is still missing

myxpykalix
03-30-2009, 12:41 PM
What did you use to scan your face in with? Is the 4th picture a 3d model with the photo as a texture or is that just a picture? What program are you using for cleaning up your scans?

khalid
03-30-2009, 01:07 PM
hmm.. Jack I generated the above model (its complete 3D with 360 degree) with the help of my pictures only
and the 3rd model is 3D model with pictures as texture...and indeed its me...

Regards

Brady Watson
03-30-2009, 01:25 PM
The 3D head software is FaceGen. The resulting 3D file is very faceted and needs to be smoothed using another software package. Unless you have the capability (and talent) to sculpt in full 3D, then you will be limited to a 3-axis model (relief) and limited in how many sides you can put hair on. There's a bit of a learning curve to successfully applying hair to a model, but if you are patient, have the software to do it and enough desire, it can be done.

Both FaceGen and 3DSOM are over 5yrs old. I haven't come across a job yet where either were required/needed to do the job (not enough accuracy or not many people that want to pay for thier carved 3D head) - but they sure are fun to play with! Thanks for posting - I'm sure others will want to play too.

-B

khalid
03-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Brady..very Nice Guess.. What about the Zbrush for sculpting
it can do fascinating thing to the model and can make beautiful hair all around the Head..

Brady Watson
03-30-2009, 03:54 PM
I was messing with FG about 5 years ago. Back then, the only way to get an output was to buy 'PhotoFit' credits, email it to their server, and wait for the file to get emailed to you. Now FG lets you do all of the processing on your PC once you purchase the full version. From what I understand, output is diabled on the demo version. There are a number of software packages out there that can handle sculpting in full 3D. ZB is one of them and a neat program, but it's interface is difficult to work in. I personally like the ClayTools system, but not everyone can justify paying $6k for it. If one was adventurous enough, they could get pretty close by sculpting each half in ArtCAM, Aspire or any other 3-axis type program & then marry up the 2 halves in another package.

The bottom line, to me at least, is - How practical are some of these software packages, in terms of how useful they really are for serving a customer's needs? 3DSOM or another photogrammetry software, doesn't really get top marks for scanning in a part that a customer needs to have exact measurements of. Photogrammetry is good for 'roughing out' a part & that's about it, since you will still need to do some work on it. This is true for both 3D & 2D 'tracings'. As far as digitizing someone's head and selling it 'for big money', good luck. Very few people want to pay for their own head, and if they do it most likely won't cover the amount of time you have invested in the software work or machining work. So what I am saying is, this stuff sure can be a lot of fun...but it will be rare to find a customer that will pay you for doing it - and in turn, help you to pay back your investement (both in time learning the software, and it's purchase price) within a reasonable amount of time.

-B

myxpykalix
03-30-2009, 10:17 PM
It is obvious that applying hair to this particular model doesn't seem to be necessary!

The results of his scan seem to be perfectly acceptable quality for carving. I'd like to see the results of this model carved into wood.

Most of the 3D creation tools aren't made with the focus on woodworking. Most of them are used for video, animation, and a whole host of other applications where there are featues that are of no importance to the qality or output for woodworking.

khalid
03-31-2009, 03:29 AM
Its not difficult to apply hairs to the model.. Some softwares have especial plug-ins for Hairs and clothes like 3D studiomax etc...

myxpykalix
03-31-2009, 04:27 AM
hey khalid...too bad its not that easy a fix for us who are "follically challenged".

khalid
03-31-2009, 04:40 AM
Hmmm.. currently we can cover our baldness by Hair Transplantation..May be someday will come when we can grow here within few days...