PDA

View Full Version : Trupan in Houston?

ken_rychlik
02-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Does anyone have a source for Trupan mdf in the Houston area? My normal place (brazos forest products) doesn't carry it.

Thanks

Kenneth

robredick
02-24-2009, 10:35 PM
You don't really need Trupan.

Arreis works great for spoil boards (machines great too). It is readily avail in Houston.

http://www.sierrapine.com/index.php

andyb
02-24-2009, 11:36 PM
I use the Sierrapine UL and it works great.

Andy B.

robredick
02-25-2009, 01:31 AM
Arreis is formaldehyde free & holds great. Call me a Hippie, but, I just try to stay away from the formaldehyde. Might as well smoke a couple of extra packs of Lucky Strikes every time that you surface that sucker.

joe
02-25-2009, 05:29 AM
Rob,

I'm always excited about a new panel product.

I was surpirized at how well Trupan holds up when wet. Is Arreis anything like MDF that falls apart with moisture? My Trupan test includes submerging a small piece in a bucket of water,for a couple of days. It will increase in size a little but doesn't fall apart. If you prime it with a little shellac, or thinned down epoxy it's exterior ready.

I'm eager to get my hands on some. How is it priced?

wberminio
02-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Joe
I have tested Trupan also.Did a similar test.
Same results.
You're right, it holds up well to mosture.
I haven't used it for exterior applications,
but have used it in bathrooms...
Have you used for exterior work?

Erminio

robredick
02-25-2009, 08:51 AM
It is not an exterior product.

ken_rychlik
02-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Rob and Andy, Are you using the Arreis for a Vacuum spoil board and what size blower are ya'll using with it?

Thanks.

Kenneth

andyb
02-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Yes, I am. I'm using the Imperial vacuum from Brady's open-source and it works great.

Andy B.

robredick
02-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Yes, I use Arreis for my spoil boards. I use 1 Fein turbo III on a 4 zone table (soon to be replaced by a 15hp blower). But, the good ole 4 zone, Fein, Arreis has always treated me right.

ken_rychlik
02-26-2009, 01:32 AM
All I can find so far is Tafisa lightweight mdf. The guy tells me that's what other shops are using for a vacuum spoilboard. I'm thinking of giving it a shot.
Kenneth

joe
02-26-2009, 02:38 AM
Rod,

Your right, Trupan isn't recommended for exterior use however, we've coated it out with epoxy and it seems bullet proof.

Try placing a scrap of Trupan in a bucket of water overnight. Then bandsaw it in half to see how it's holding up. Our tests show a little swelling, but nothing like MDF.

I still like Extira for letters.