Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carving on stones

Default Carving on stones

Has anyone tried to carve in a landscape stone like you see in peoples Flower beds. I don't exactly know what type of stone these are but I think they come in many different types adn tehy are around 6" to 12" round or oval. I have searched the forum but have come up dry. Maybe I don't know the exact phase to get the results that I am looking for?

I have two questions.

1. what type of bits can you use in a PC router to carve in a hard surface like stone?

2. Has anyone rigged up a liquid cooling tub or area to allow the liquid to get recaptured and used again? How would you keep the liquid from gettin all over the Router? Seems water and electricity would not be a good combination? I was thinking of a clear deflection sheild mounted below the router moving with the Z axis that allows the bit to access the stone?

Yes this is just another one of the thousands of ideas that I have had during the many years of looking at the shopbot before I actually took the plunge. Please give me your expert opinion on this and tell me why this is such a bad idea so I can move on to the next bad idea.

Dave, Sorry I can't answer directly but have many of the same questions. Wanted to try Soapstone but mostly I was frightened off by the hardness, water cooling recommendations, dust in the spindle, and probable excessive bit wear. I do know some folks have done it, some have done limestone apparently with great success. So when you figure it out, I would love to learn how its done.

I am talking a common boulder or rock found when digging in construction sites. the lanscape companies sell these. They also drill a hole in the center and shoot water up through these. If and when I find an answer I will be happy to share my findings. I am not risking as must with a PC router as a spindle if the thing gets ruined. this is the reason that I did not purchase the spindle in the first place. I figured after a year or so of trying to kill the bot I could move up to the spindle.

http://www.signindustry.com/computer...WithWater.php3
    This is the most I've found to date on cnc stone operations.
    Most mechanical rock work is an abrasive operation, using diamond coated tooling for cutting. I don't know if the ShopBot will feed slow enough for stone cutting. Especially for a high quartz concentration like magmatic and granitic stones. Even sandstone contains a high degree of quartz.
    I would consider cutting sandblast masking for face engraving, depending on what the design entails.
    my 2¢

I took a glass engraving class a couple of years ago. The engraving process used sandblasting. It was sponsered by Photobrasive
    http://photobrasive.com/
    I saw a lot of carvings in stone using the same process. One guy was blasting pics on tombstones and there were a lot of examples of engravings on the round stones you mentioned.
    Pretty impressive.

Early on I actually did try engraving landscape paver stone using my bot with a masonry drill bit.
    Everything started out looking OK but very soon I noticed the carbide starting to glow red. I then used a spray bottle of water and squirted it on as the bit was cutting. The whole thing seemed rather scary and even though I did have safety goggles on, I still imagined what it would be like having a glowing chunk of carbide lodged into my face or arm, etc.

I never tried it a second time because the novelty and saleability of what I was doing just didn't justify the time it took. If I had a real market for that kind of product, I'd experiment with speeds & feeds more than I did.
    And then there was the resulting mud to clean up. Spraying the water kept the dust down and the bit somewhat cooler but also created mud which flew about.

The stone was not poured concrete like most of the landscape pavers - it was something similar to limestone but I forget what it was called. I also engraved into slate floor tile, which went much better, although the slate has a tendency to flake off layers on small inside areas of letters like O & D & P & A & B & R

I have made a few Concrete molds out of cheap pink foam.
    Just a thought
    Tom

Not sure if i'm correct or not but I had some problems with a decorative custom carbide bit breaking on some hardwood turnings and called the manufacturer. He told me that by lubricating the bit (with some spray on tool lubrication)while it was hot, it deteriorated/weakened the carbide and caused it to break the tip. Never knew if this was true but when I stopped lubricating it, it held up. Can anyone verify this condition? Just putting it out there for consideration.

I appreciate all the information. I have messed with a dremel tool and hand carved a name in a rock. this is where this idea come from. It took me quite a bit of time but it actually turned out alright. With that in mind I was wanting to kick it up a notch and have the shopbot do all the long hours of carving while I was off doing something else in the shop.

I had no real marketing plan for this just wanted to know if it could be done?

HI JERRY,
    As for your bit breaking you were probably causing what is called thermal shock.
    The bit getting real hot and then spraying it with a cold cooling agent. this produces small microscopic cracks in the carbide and will cause premature failure. If you really need to keep the bit cool ,start cooling it before you start to cut otherwise let it get hot, it will not hurt it.
    Hope this helps
    Don