Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Entertainment center

They both seem good. I might have to get some and try em.

I have made some changes to the intial design. How's this looking? On the inside of the cut out there will be 3/4" wood and to help support it there will be 5 2" PVC pipes.

Thanks
    Nikki
    14150.jpg

Artisan, Industrial Art Company, Little River SC

Mark, we obviously create a lot of the same types of things after looking at your website. As long as the plywood insert sits squarely on the PVC pipes, allowing them to carry the load, you should have no problems. Also....I'm assuming you are meshing and browncoating all the foam? If you spray it with Zinnser water based shellac, you can then epoxy or fiberglass over any suspect sections. The zinnser will block any solvent based products such as fiberglass from reaching your foam through the browncoat. Be sure and add a board to the top if you plan to use it as a shelf....good luck....D

Darrell, yes we will be putting mesh and browncoat on.

The more I think about this, the more worried I get. I have a son that's almost 2 and he will be running around our house. With the weight of the wood, the pipes, the browncoating and the tv will it be sturdy enough so it won't fall over?

Thanks again for all your help I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Nikki

In California they'd tell you to tie it to the wall with some straps or a chain. You could do something similar I suppose. Perhaps some unobtrusive picture wire lanyards to mollys in the wall behind to keep the unit from approaching a tipping point.

Nikki, I have a 2 year old also and she likes to figure out how to climb up stuff. I've had to put "L" brackets on every shelf and piece of furniture that could possibly tip over. I've got to be honest, I think it would be safe but I probably still wouldn't do it in my house with my baby running around without adding some additional safeties like cabling the TV to the wall and bracketing the entertainment center to the wall in addition so that no single failure could let it fall.

What about a possibly simpler solution like cutting parts for a complete plywood unit and then dressing it in a foam shell? That way you have the foam decorative layer but also a simple but very strong and stable core.