Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Port Issue

Default Port Issue

I tried to connect to my ShopBot for the first time and I got an error report saying that there was an issue with Port 4.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do next?

Power works.

I have an Alpha 48"x96"
    Attached Images Attached Images

First, make sure that the following have been installed (assuming this is a brand new PRS Alpha)

1) Make sure that you opted to install the USB drivers for tools shipped after Nov 2007 when you installed SB3 control software. If you are not sure, unplug the USB and goto:
    C:\Program Files\ShopBot\ShopBot 3\Drivers\ShopBotControllerV204 and run DriverLoader.exe

2) Plug USB hub that ShopBot supplied with the tool into your PC (they weren't just being generous) - and then plug the USB cable from the control box into that. You may see Windows pop up with a tooltip telling you it has found the ShopBot v204 controller.

3) Open up SB3 control software. If a port is not found, just opt for 'Preview Mode'. Once in Preview mode, type in UI - this will prompt you to install firmware software that matches the version of control software you are running. Click on the button to find the active port, then turn off control box, and turn it back on + press blue Reset button. Firmware should update. Note: It is very important that the firmware is updated to match the version of SB3 you are running!!! You must upgrade firmware EVERY time you update to a newer version of SB3, which is free by the way.

You can also find out what COM port the SB is plugged into by going to the Windows Device Manager & look for the connection. You can also use ShopBot's USBView utility located: C:\Program Files\ShopBot\Diagnostics

Hope that helps...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Ok. I did number one which needed to be done.

I had downloaded the latest version from ShopBot, since my control software was outdated. Everything was the same except v204, I had v201. I just downloaded it 2 hours ago.

The port is still not activited, but when I plug in the USB it says something is there. I can't connect to the control box either.

Where do I find the control box firmware?

The ShopBot USB is on Port 1, I changed the Ports (COM & LPT) to COM1 as well, which is the ShopBot Controller

I follow the directions. Type in Port 1. Load Firmware. Turn off machine and wait 30 seconds. Turn machine back on and it says it is complete. Type UI and still says port is not active.

Do the progress bars show some lights in the bars before it says it has done the firmware update?

It will tell you it is finsished even if it has not done it.

You have to hit the firmware button, then cycle the controller off and back on. When you turn it back on the progress bars should blink while it is updating the firmware. If you don't see this, it didn't happen.

On finding the connection, when you get to the screen like the first screen shot you posted, click on try another connection. When that opens up it will give you the chance to search for the bot connection. (make the controller is turned on)

If it doesn't find it, you can't upgrade the firmware anyway as it is not "talking" to it.
    Kenneth

What do you mean by progress bars. I didn't see any lights or bars.

Tried reconnecting several times, still nothing.

Don't worry about uploading the firmware until after you get hooked up to the controller.

When you have it hooked up, you will see the bars when updating the firmware if done correctly.

Work on trying the controller plugged into different ports and letting it search again.

If this won't work anywhere, you still don't have the drivers installed for it yet or something is wrong with the usb cable maybe.

The controller is turned on while you are trying to find it right?
    Kenneth

It says COM port is ok, but can not connect with the control box.

Do both ports need to be the same?

I have 2 USB ports on my computer.

It recognizes when the USB is plugged in and when it is taken out. But still won't talk.

Port 4 is flashing. Port 2 and 3 are yellow. The rest are blank.

if port 4 is flashing it is telling you something is there, but it can't talk to it.

You don't need to go to that screen.

Click on the shopbot icon to open up the control panel. When you get the yellow box telling you it's not hooked up, click on the second circle that will let you look for the connection on another port.

When that box opens up click on the bottom box ( find shopbot connection)

If it does not find it, go back to thinking you need drivers installed.
    Kenneth

I have tried finding the ShopBot Connection, but that has not worked when using the yellow screen.