I appreciate all the responses on this question. This is a request by a friend and a very interesting challenge IMHO.

I do have a 12" Z axis and could probably produce the 4 position indexer that was mentioned above. I am not sure of the gun type or to what extreme the existing "Stock" is damaged?

Now for a little background on myself and my bot.

I purchased my Bot not with intentions of building a single project or product type but to be able to expand the challenge of solving complicated problems. I probably take more enjoyment from the time in solving the solution than seeing the finished product. This would not be at all a paying project but an experiment on duplicating somethng precisely in 3d. Complete with all the carving needed to join the Stock with the barrel and trigger mechanism.

Here is a thought? Can you probe on an indexer? Would you have to probe all four sides or can you probe the top and two sides?

I am asking these questions only to get some initial thoughts on how to attack this. I always get amazed at how some of the members here can come up with a new way to skin an old cat?

Once again thanks for all the words of encouragement and also the warnings of what I might be getting into. The way I see it at worst we end up with a very small piece of scrap wood and the knowledge of how not to copy a gun stock.

Wish me luck.

Dave