Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone using the "ShopBot Direct to Machine" postP?

Default Anyone using the "ShopBot Direct to Machine" postP?

Hopefully I am not the only one that has found or used the "direct to machine" post that comes with PWks v3. Since my machine does not have any of the OEM variables, I have a couple questions if you have used it.

1) Does the partsfile generated actaully go direct to the machine and run, as the name implies, or does it just automate the save/run task as it seems to on my machine?

2) Since I have used a good number of eCabs files that actually go directly to the machine similar to what Gcode version do, have you or do you wish to find a way to make it work ina similar fashion?

Thanks
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Hi Gary,

In conjunction with the new systems for the ShopBotEASY interface that is currently available as a beta. We have implemented the "Direct to Machine" (DTM) Option that you have just noted in PartWorks 3.0.

When the DTM option is used, PartWorks will save the .SBP file with the chosen name (as it normally would); and then will pass the file to ShopBot to run or preview depending on what mode ShopBot is in at the point you click "Save to File". This is a convenience feature, making using a routine cutting file more of a "click to print" type of automated process -- without the step of needing to separately load the toolpath into ShopBot. It does not prevent using the two step process if you prefer, just makes DTM an option when you finish toolpathing in PartWorks.

The feature only works in the posts included with the beta at the moment. Assuming everyone is comfortable with this approach, it will be included in the posts in the release version of 3.7.x.

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools

PS. For those interested in testing the beta, it is availabe on the website and will run with both the ShopBotEASY interface and the standard interface -- you can switch back and forth.

FYI- After reading this i wanted to check it out and this link:
    http://www.shopbottools.com/files/Setup_sb3_7_1b11.exe is not working.
    Oops!

The page you have requested can not be found. Some of our most popular pages are listed below for your convenience or use the search box to your left. You can also give us a call at 919-680-4800.

Just thought you might want to know...thanks for your hard work Ted!

Ted, A lot of folks using shopbots are not using Partworks. I am running v-carve and many users are running aspire.

Are there any plans to include these into the program or would we just be out of the loop?
    Kenneth

Kenneth,

All you really need to do to make it work in Aspire/VCP is to modify your usual post processor that is in your user data folder by adding this line somewhere near the top (Right after UNITS = "inches" is good)...

DIRECT_OUTPUT = "DIRECT to ShopBot|ShopBot_run.ini"

You also need to put the ShopBot_run.ini file in the same PostP folder. That file is found in the C:\SbParts\PartWorksPosts folder. Just copy and paste.

Then just check the box for direct to machine when saving a toolpath in Aspire/VCP.

Scott

Kenneth....
    Just got back from a day of "playing" with this and a couple other things I wanted to try. I have VCPro V6. I was able to take the posts from the Beta and install them into the UserDataFile for VCPro and use them. You will have to have VCPro V6 to have the "DTM" checkbox, I think.

All of my posts are modified and this new one was no exception. That is why I asked the original question. I was wondering if any of the unmodified posts gave different actions.

Edit: Scott... I didnt remember if the DTM box existed in earlier versions.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

modifying the pp and the ini could you make it so when you save a toolpath it just copies it to the shopbot computer?

Thanks for the info Scott. I will give it a try.

An fyi for this option though. When using the shopbot link, if I let the link open SB3, it locks up looses position and crashes. If I open the SB3 first, the link will output to SB3 and it runs fine.

I am worried this will be the same way, but I am interested to see how it works.
    Kenneth

Kenneth...
    I wonder if this is a glitch that is peculiar to your machine, or many others? I usually run my Squaring, home and warmup routines prior to hitting the [Sent to ShopBot] button, so I have never seen this happen. Do you do similar? You then close SB3? Why?

Scott...
    Since you seem knowledgable on this, is there a way to make this feature true "DTM" as Ted calls it? As far as I can see you must save the file and then select it to run. The only possible steps saved would be 1) closing Pwks/VCPro, 2) having to remember the file name as it appears to use the save location as the default "1st look" location.
    Other than a mouse click on the [Load Part File] button, not really any more direct than any other post I have seen. My testing was done with SB3 and VCPro both running. So, add double click of SB3 icon to the saving click list. Please correct me where I am wrong.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein

Gary,

Yes, you can change its behavior by editing the ShopBot_run.ini file. There's a .txt file in C:\Program Files\ShopBot\Developer Tools\Docs named SbW_CommandLine_Format.txt that has the parameters used to pass to the command line for various options such as how SB3 is opened, closed, displayed, and offset.

For example, if you wanted to have SB3 open and run the file with no further input, you would change the .ini file to read...

sb3.exe
    %s,,4,,0,0,0

The default is for SB3 to open in move/cut mode with the file selected and the fill-in sheet open.