Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An easy way to make inlays using V Carve

There are some addition refinements and test cases posted here:

http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=564

Paul thought you guys would like to see these examples.
    15318.jpg
    15319.jpg
    15320.jpg

Another test case

15498.jpg

Here's the latest test case. The inlay is about 5" tall. I bonded the inlay to the pocket with superglue. It took less than 50 minutes from two scraps of wood to the first coat of varnish.

15750.jpg

15751.jpg

Paul, the inlays just keep getting better! I have yet to try it but I'm hoping to over the weekend. I just upgraded my controller to the Ascension 1000 and I'm stiffening up my table and x and y cars now to get more vibrations out. After that and with the increased resolution of the Ascension I'm hoping to be able to make some very detailed and smooth inlays in Corian. As soon as I get around to it I'll post some pics.

Patrick

What do you use as glue in/on Corian?

Paul Z

Paul, I use solid surface adhesive. Since I end up with various solid surface materials like Corian, Formica Solid Surface, Gibralter, Hi-Macs, Etc. I use a universal adhesive from Integra -
    http://www.integra-adhesives.com/solidsurface/index.htm
    These work on any major brand acrylic or polyester solid surface material. You need to get the color that is appropriate for the color of the parts you're working with but they have hundreds of colors and have charts to match every color in every brand. The nice thing about them is that you don't have to be certified, you just but them direct. For Corian and most other brands, even if you can buy or get free scrap from local top shops you still can't buy the adhesives. There are several options from small cartridges that use a cheap plastic caulking gun type of setup to big cartridges that require expensive guns. For inlay work the smaller ones are better anyway. The adhesive is a 2 part mix but they auto-mix with special spiral mixer tips that you screw onto the cartridges. Once you dispense it you have up to 10 minutes to work it before it starts to skin over and set. After 15-20 minutes it's at handling strength and after an hour or so you can sand it down and buff out the piece. The other nice thing about solid surface is that if you just want a solid color inlay you can just cut the pocket, flood fill it with adhesive and then sand it down and you're done.

Patrick,
    I have tried this solid color inlay. It turned out good but had to refill 3-4 times to get the air bubbles out. I was using Gibralter adhesive and solid surface. Will the integra adhesive fill without air pockets?
    Thanks Dave

Patrick, i had a thought/question. I wonder if this integra adhesive would bond real strong with various woods. I'd like to find a colored adhesive/epoxy/fill for inlays in wood, thats quick and easy to use.Like Dave Midkiff, doing it one shot without bubble issues would be nice.I went to the site and found out they are in Canada. Its saturday morning so i cant get answers from them yet. Plus you might have experience in this that i want to do. I have more ideas i would like to develop. Thank you for your time. rick

Rick,

Minwax wood filler is (in essence) wood colored bondo. It’s setting time is controlled by how much hardener is added and, to a lesser extent, ambient temperature. It adheres very well to wood and it sands very nicely. It is also very reasonably priced.

Down side is that I think it comes in only one color.

Paul Z