Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Sanding Table

Default Suggestions for Sanding Table

I am making a sanding table for other woodworking projects and I want to get some suggestions as to a hole pattern, diameter or shape to use. The table top will be 24" x 36" but the area open for collecting the dust will be 14" x 26".

I will be using a Fein Turbo III to remove the dust and some shavings (shavings need not be removed - more concerned with dust collection) and also at times used as a hold down for certain parts that I am working on (long, wide, flat parts). I thought about drilling a few hundred 1/4" diam holes on 1" centers. That seems to easy although KISS keeps coming to mind !

I'd love some suggestions as to what might make a better, more effective pattern. Heck, I've got the Shopbot, I might as well put it to use, eh ?

Thanks.

Bret, I can't really say what size or how many but I agree, you may as well put the Bot to use.
    How about laying out the hole pattern as a piece of art or motivational quote. Maybe your Logo, a simple statment like the one my daughter put on a tee shirt for me. "Measure Once, curse twice" or just something fun so that boring task of sanding isn't so boring.

Thanks for the idea. I have attached a .pdf of my sanding table top.

Bret
    Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust.pdf (38.0 k)

Mine's going to say, "This job sucks!".

A downdraft table would be nice but, since you have a Fein, why not consider buying a Fein or Festool sander. The sanders are comparatively expensive but are really fine sanders and when hooked up to a Fein vacuum are truly dustless. I haven't even worn a mask while sanding since buying my Fein sander 5 or 6 years ago. I have a Festool which I also love. The Turbo III will automatically cycle on and off with the sander.

Bret and Kip, I like the idea of converting an otherwise "regular bench top" to a dual purpose bench and sanding table. Not sure what the final design would look like but assume the top with holes would rise 1/8" or so above a plenum, then connect to a vacuum / dust collector. Probably something nice as a surface like finished baltic, melamine or whatever.
    Is this the basic design you're working on or are there some secrets that need to be considered? Need zones or anything to route the vacuum flow around and support the top under the plenum or anything like that? Routed channels below the top like a vacuum hold down table top?

Jerry - I am building this on the fly - no secrets, believe me. I like your idea of making the working surface like a plenum board. I was thinking about making like a "sewer grate" where you cut out holes and slots that sat over top a vacuum box.

Wayne - I am going with this design because at times I will need more functionality than what an orbital sander can provide. Besides I already have a setup similar to that when I sand drywall mud, for example. Bye the way, the current Fine Woodworker magazine from Taunton Press ranked the Bosch above the 2 mfrs you mentioned and it was also a Best Buy at $70 - I was very surprised, esp since the Festtool is like $200 !! My Porter Cable OS is about to give out on me and I will now save a bunch of bucks and look at buying the Bosch, which also has an adjustable speed !!

Kip - I think I like your slogan a bit more than mine. Oh well...

Bret:

Have you finished the sanding table yet? I'm getting ready to make one as well. I was planning to use the plenum idea with a couple of shop vacs for two zones. If you can get your hands on some old mouse pads, you can glue them to the top of the table (bottom side up) for a pad. I'm going to give that a try. Plan to put my holes through the pads. I'll let you know how it works. If you have a picture of your finished table, please post it.

Thinking further on this, I can envision a simple flat top with grooves cut in some sort of matrix and inserting some of the gasket tape from Allstar Adhesives in the grooves for friction, sealing, and padding. It would be interesting to use it as a dual purpose sanding table with appropriate holes or slots inside the matrix plus having some level of hold down on the piece from the shop vacs.
    Make any sense? Seems like it would be handy to me. Guess I'll have to design and plan to make one after I move the shop.
    Photos when you guys complete yours are always appreciated.

Jerry

I like the idea. I'm going to use the mouse pads, simply because I have about 100 of them that I salvaged from a corporate circular file. We plan to make it this weekend, I'll forward a picture when it's done.