Thread: Buddy Standard vs. Alpha?

Hybrid View

Default Buddy Standard vs. Alpha?

I am a prospective Buddy buyer. I have read a great deal on the site about the differences between the Alpha and the Standard, although speak to the Buddy versions. I am a home woodworker that does an occasional piece on commission. I have a strong preference for solid well build machines. My primary power tool is a Knapp combination machine that weighs almost 2 tons and runs 3 6hp motors on 3 phase power. Likely overkill, but I love it.

My usage of a CNC machine will be to carve out seats for rocking chairs and for milling/flattening large boards that won't fit in my 16' jointer/planer. All are typically 2" walnut or curly maple boards.

Is an Alpha overkill for my application? Any other recommendations about how to configure my order?

Doug

Hello Douglas!

You will be happy with either machine. Standards cut at about half the speed of alphas, but cut reliably and accurately. What alphas do is offer higher speed with servo-feedback. That is nice to have (my BT-32 is an alpha) but not essential. If you can afford an alpha, its a better machine with higher torque and speed.

Also look at the BT-48 size with powersticks. Powersticks allow the buddy to cut a full sheet of plywood. REALLY handy. Then when you are not doing big work, you have a small machine footprint. But 8 foot and longer powersticks REQUIRE the alpha.

When I bought my BT-32 I thought I didn't want a full sheet ability. I was very wrong. Once I had a shopbot I found it got used on many more projects than my original intentions. Fortunately I have access to a full size gantry shopbot for my occasional full-sheet projects.

As to making chair seats, you will be well served to put money into Aspire. Its really good at that kind of project. Aspire has both "carve" and cutout features that are hard to beat. The extra money for Aspire may force the decision to go with the standard. Aspire for your application is more important than the Alpha in my humble opinion. Others may disagree.

A digitizer probe will go mostly unused. Save the cash. Your cell phone camera will do the job for most needs once you have learned a bit.

When you make a set of chairs and they all come out the same, yet completely customized post us some photos! And check out the ones already posted.

When I buy new technology, I have fantasy's about what it can do that usually turn into disappointments. The shopbot was different, I had not dreamed enough. Very likely the shopbot will become more useful than you ever expected.

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Aspire for your application is more important than the Alpha in my humble opinion.
    I have a BT48 standard and agree 100%. The bigger question for me when deciding on my buddy purchase was 32vs48 rather than alpha vs standard. I am VERY glad I spent the extra money on the 48! I actually run my buddy "sideways" with the 48 my long axis and the short powerstick giving me my short axis. I have the caster kit installed and a 6ft stick available for the rare times I need to cut anything larger.

I wish I would have bought an alpha. 4ips is a pretty good cut speed, but 7 or 8 would be better.

David

David,

I have a PRT Alpha 48x96 and I cut at 4ips or less 95% of the time. There are rare occasions that I will cut at 10 ips.

I do like the fedback loop on the steppers that will stop the machine if steps are being missed. It has saved several pieces of material and lots of cutting hours.

I also find that visitors are really impressed by the 30 ips jog speed. God help the bot (and me) if it ever hits the limit stops at that speed.

Paul Z

I agree 100% with Mr Decker... I have virtually same setup as he... and LOVE it. this is my first CNC machine had i known more about them at time of purchase.. may have written bigger check.... NO REGRETS.. as i hobbyist. Had i had to make the choice between an alpha machine or aspire... sure i wood have bought aspire first. Like i tell the kids... don't care how long homework takes... just get the A quality work