Thread: DeskTop Y-axis rail covers

Default DeskTop Y-axis rail covers

I created this cover system for a production DeskTop to protect the exposed Y-axis rails from swarf, chips and dust. The prototype was made with plastic angle stock attached to the gantry vertical above the bearing blocks and plastic sheet stock was mounted to the frame, covering the rails and overlapping the angle stock. All was attached using double stick tape. In use, the covers have kept the rails much cleaner and have held up to daily production use. At some point I'll install a few hold down screws so the covers can be easily be removed for rail maintenance.

Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pics Ed. Our second Desktop we bought with the mini enclosure they sell, and Kirks rails and teeny 'Bot room stay much cleaner than mine even when surfacing,dadoing, and cutting with long bits ( GOT to make a longer bristle dust skirt or spacers). I blow mine off at bit change when I blow collet and spindle off but it doesn't address the chips on the floor If I used the spindle guard it wouldn't be so bad, but such a pain to put on at my wheelchair height(or Kirks for that matter) we've stopped using it. Like I mentioned longer bristles or a set of spacers for the lower skirt section and a decent vac will help my floor. If I copy you might put longer flange upright to deflect " escape velocity" chips Good work--Like to see how people have their Desktops set up- It helps everyone. Thanks
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Ed I've been thinking about some type of cover or shield to keep dust away , good idea thanks for posting